Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 09:43 PM

Default .25/.50 middle pair vs calling station

Villian is a fish. Loose preflop caller. Postflop chases bottom pair and longshot draws. He'd caught some cards and was winning in this session. I'd noticed he'd bet the turn and river when checked to with weak made hands. One time he'd bet out the turn and river 3 way with 22 unimproved.

His preflop cold calling range includes Kxs, K9-KQ. It also includes hands I'm beating such as J9, JT. He could also have a gutsthot straight draw, or a middle PP. If he had 2 pair or better I expect he would have raised the flop.

I need a line for the turn and river. I'm thinking now bet/fold the turn, bet/fold the river UI. It sucks though thinking that I'm paying off Kx. But if I check I feel I should call as he'll bet some hands I'm beating. Checking the turn would give him a free card if I'm in the lead.

Or is the pot too small and should I just check/fold the turn and let him have it. There's a good chance he has a K.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: .25/.50 middle pair vs calling station

bet the turn, b/f the river. I hate idiots like these.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:27 PM

i don't understand how the following 2 statements work together:

-villian is a fishy calling station
-i'm pretty sure villain has top pair (kings)

what say you?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:28 PM

bet again. We like our hand.

OP, is your av related to nerdking's? That is weird.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:28 PM

sorry didn't finish my post. i bet the turn and bet the river. let him pay off with crap. if he had the king, oh well, value bet him to death every hand, and profit.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 PM

I'm probably bet/folding the turn and river, perhaps bet/calling the river depending on if I improve. Paying off a king would suck, but then, you make it sound like medium to big Jx's are in his range as are pocket pairs and AQ/AT/QT/Q9 straight draw type hands. If he's as passive as I'm imagining, he'd raise if he has you beat. I'd bet the river for the same reason, and hope to get called down by the whole range including some UI aces which he wouldn't necessarily bet.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 PM

Against calling stations, the turn and river are easy value bets. If Villian were to raise any of these streets it would be an easy laydown if you do not improve.

You may get shown top pair here but in the long run betting will be +EV.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand how the following 2 statements work together:

-villian is a fishy calling station
-i'm pretty sure villain has top pair (kings)

what say you?

[/ QUOTE ]
At that time he'd sucked out on me a couple of times earlier so I was thinking he'd won again with a lesser hand - some King. Pretty much my whole session to that point was suckouts and flopped overcards [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] so I was kind of expecting more of the same. The fish don't always have to wait to the river to win. Sometimes they get there on the flop.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll play it more aggressive next time I see this situation.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet again. We like our hand.

OP, is your av related to nerdking's? That is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
I scraped my avatar from here. link I'm not sure but I don't think he smoked in the books.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:07 AM

It is important to keep betting. Giving any type of free cards to such a loose player would be devastating. It reminds me of a quote from the theory of poker, "a mistake that cost you a bet, is not a big deal, but a mistake that cost you the pot is a catastrophe." Also a player like this doesn't usually slow play top pair. So since he didn't raise on the flop it is possible he has QJ, A6, JT, AT,Q9, or even QT or any type of middle pair. If you check and show weakness he might make you fold and second guess yourself. So bet turn. On the river it is best to check and call. If something dangerous comes you avoid getting raised, and also you might persuade him to bluff to you on the river. But never give any free cards and show weakness against this type of player, unless your hand is super strong.