Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Default SSHE: Ed Miller\'s Distinction

In SSHE, Ed Miller distinguishes hands of the type 77 flop 7xx from hands of the type 7x flp 77x. He calls the former sets and the latter trips (SSHE, pp127-129). Is this distinction recognised by two + two-ers? I mean would you use this terminology? Would you be understood?

Tx in advance.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: SSHE: Ed Miller\'s Distinction

I remember being on the losing side of a small debate about this long ago. When the smoke cleared it was understood and accepted by all that having a pocket pair (7-7) with a card on the board matching the two in your hand (another 7) was a "set". Having only one of a rank in your hand like (T-8) and making three-of-a-kind on the the board (A, 8, 4, 8, Q) was "trips".

I now use those terms to refer to those situations. My understanding is that this if fairly common knowledge.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 PM

One of the major influences 2+2 has had on poker at large is the standardation of poker terms. Read an old book like SS1 and you'll see Doyle use 3-4 terms to discribe the same thing. While you will often hear poker posers throw all kinds of old school slang in a desperate attempt to sound like a long time grinder, you don't see that anymore in print. Now days, particularly in print, you'l see people use standard and particular terms.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM

BTW, the distinction is very valid. With pocket 7's and a flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], your set is going to win a lot of money from players who Flopped a pair of jacks or a pair of tens. And if you're playing NL and your opponent Flopped two pair, you're probably going to double up. This is because the strength of your hand is concealed.

Now consider 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on a Flop of 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Someone with one jack will probable bet at that Flop and then let their hand go when you raise. You can't make as much money with trips because when you show strength the other players know exactly what you have.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM

I used to consider them to mean the same thing. After reading Miller's book though, when I've looked over books before SSHE they all seemed to use "set" and "trips" exactly how he defined it.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to consider them to mean the same thing. After reading Miller's book though, when I've looked over books before SSHE they all seemed to use "set" and "trips" exactly how he defined it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the distinction precede Ed Miller then? By the way, on the magazine forum it was claimed Sklansky invented the term 'semi-bluff'. This is not true. Albert Morehead uses it in his book, the Complete Guide to Poker (1973).
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM

[quote

Does the distinction precede Ed Miller then? By the way, on the magazine forum it was claimed Sklansky invented the term 'semi-bluff'. This is not true. Albert Morehead uses it in his book, the Complete Guide to Poker (1973).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have known the term "set" as distinct from trips, for over 10 years, but I don't remember where I first heard it or read it. Possibly reading Sklansky, possibly somewhere else.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 AM

I started studying/playing HE about a year before SSHE came out, and I remember a clear distinction between "set" and "trips" from the very beginning, well before that book was published.

Can't say definitively exactly where I first read (or heard) the term, but I can say that both Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'Em 2nd Edition and Lou Krieger's Hold 'Em Excellence (both published in 2000) clearly made a distinction between "set" and "trips". Furthermore, each book discussed in a manner which implied that neither author came up with that distinction on their own.

In the process of writing this reply, looked through a couple of my earlier-published books. The use of the term "set" specifically in reference to 2 cards in the hole and 1 on the board appears as early as Bobby Baldwin's Limit Hold 'Em section in the original Super System (1978), but does not appear in Sklansky's original Hold 'Em Poker (1976). May very well be that Bobby made the first definition of the term in print, and probably existed as a standard term at the table long before that.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:33 AM

Until this thread, I didn't even know that SSHE was evidently where people were learning of the distinction.

It was definitely recognized on 2+2 before the book came out and I'm fairly certain that Ed didn't invent it.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In SSHE, Ed Miller distinguishes hands of the type 77 flop 7xx from hands of the type 7x flp 77x. He calls the former sets and the latter trips (SSHE, pp127-129).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably a geek, but I use it. In fact, when I'm training someone, the exact phrase is "You're often SET with the first hand, but you can be TRIPPED up by the second if you're not careful"

The hands are hugely different and should be played differently, as we know. I think they deserve different names.