Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: What % of major tourney players are backed by sheets/bax?

Camel,

As I said earlier, I don't think they are either. However, it would still be nice to see lists of players backed by the major backers, especially if these backers are also playing in these tourneys.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roswell,

Uh, if a backer wanted to do something like this, obviously the players would have a financial incentive for doing it. Getting out from under a ton of makeup seems like a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D, I don't get it. You mention specific backers in the thread title, but seem to want to have a general discussion about unethical possibilities that exist in poker through backers. If you didn't want to cast suspicion on Bax/Sheets specifically, why would you mention them specifically? You just like to stir the pot, right?

Edit: No backer ever has or will publish a list of his players. Do you see why?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:29 PM

This seems like the type of thing that one would perfect by entering multiple horses into several online tourneys before coming out and making a statement in live donkament play.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Camel,

As I said earlier, I don't think they are either. However, it would still be nice to see lists of players backed by the major backers, especially if these backers are also playing in these tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a perfect world I agree with you. Also, lists of who has swapped a % would be nice.

But I am not going to hold my breath.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Camel,

[/ QUOTE ]

In a perfect world I agree with you. Also, lists of who has swapped a % would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

What use would such information be without a system designed to police, judge and punish poker players who collude?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come no one has ever offered to back me?

[/ QUOTE ]

who are you?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Camel,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What use would such information be without a system designed to police, judge and punish poker players who collude?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my perfect world there would be such a system.

But even without the system, it would be nice to know that the two players with big stacks on your table, who haven't played a pot against each other for 8 hours in the WSOP main event had swapped 40%, wouldn't it?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:42 PM

shaniac,

I mention them specifically because they are the biggest backers I am aware of. I am very curious as to the percentage of the field they have. The bigger that percentage, the more a concern I would have about playing in these tournaments. It's not a question of thinking they are cheating. It's about being aware of what order of magnitude the risk is if they are. Can't do that without knowing what % of fields they have.

You say no backers will publish a list. No, I don't see why they wouldn't if they are completely on the up and up. Would be great to see sheets/bax make a statement and publish a list.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my perfect world there would be such a system.

But even without the system, it would be nice to know that the two players with big stacks on your table, who haven't played a pot against each other for 8 hours in the WSOP main event had swapped 40%, wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of...without the system that we mentioned in place, this would just create a maximum amount of suspicion while not doing anything to combat actual cheating, so the net result would be bad for the game. Knowing who MIGHT be cheating doesn't help us know who IS cheating. Also, if there isn't even any justice taking place if someone is found out to be softplaying or cheating, it's an unsatisfying solution designed to spread antipathy and mistrust while not acheiving integrity.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of...without the system that we mentioned in place, this would just create a maximum amount of suspicion while not doing anything to combat actual cheating, so the net result would be bad for the game. Knowing who MIGHT be cheating doesn't help us know who IS cheating. Also, if there isn't even any justice taking place if someone is found out to be softplaying or cheating, it's an unsatisfying solution designed to spread antipathy and mistrust while not acheiving integrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

shaniac,

Such a list would lead to suspicion and players would watch "team mates". Undoubtedly some false charges would ensue. But it would also have the huge benefit of deterring collusion because those backing syndicates would know they are being watched by all serious players who keep up with things. Only if they have something to hide would they oppose publishing a list for themselves.