Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 PM

Default SW Florida - New B&M in Sarasota

One Eyed Jacks @ Sarasota Kennel Club, pretty much across the street from the airport.

They opened last month, and I finally got a chance to try it out this week. A group of us headed up on Wednesday to play in the noon $35 tournament. Florida B&M's are usually $45, so from that, and the looks of the payout table, they rake much less on this multi than the other card rooms ($30+$5 rather than $32+$13).

I was pleasantly surprised that we start with stacks of $3500, instead of the normal $1500-$2000. Blinds at $25/$50, up every 15 minutes. Late arrivals are seated.

Unfortunately, they skip the $400/$800 level, but that is my only real complaint.

Went relatively deep, but didn't make the money, so I signed up for a $45 SNG which seated and started promptly. This seems like the more standard FL rake (1st is $210, 2nd is ...$140? Don't quote me on that). Stacks were $1500, blinds 25/25. This went much better, and I took that bisssh down, no chopchop.

All in all, a VERY pleasant FL B&M experience. The staff was kind and courteous and knowledgable (I'm looking at you, Hard Rock). The room is relatively small. I didn't count, but I would guesstimate 30 tables. Mostly these small SNG's and the multi, but when I was there on a Wednesday afternoon, there were also cash Hold 'Em and Omaha games going (yes, standard FL $1/$2 limit poker). The room looks very classy, and subdued, and has a bar in the center.

The chips were Paulsons(!)

Biggest complaints:

1 - The limits. But this is FL, so unless you go offshore or to a homegame, the story is the same no matter where you go. When they finally drop these stupid rules, this place will be the new poker Mecca...yum yum.

2 - The waitresses. Blah!

3 - Lack of TV's. Though they were scattered throughout the room, nice LCD's or Plasmas, they were tuned either to the tournament software, or to greyhound racing. They need to add more tv's, and have sporting events on. Not for me, but for the drunks at the table.

If you are in the area, and fiending for poker, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: SW Florida - New B&M in Sarasota

2 of the guys that "ran" Silks at Tampa Downs are running that room now and one of them is Sam who did a lot of work at the World Series this year, good people!

Derby Lane, Silks and this new room all have the same structures, none of 'em have ever had a 400/800 level, get it over as quickly as possible with as much vig as possible.

15 minute levels, it's already INSANE at 20 minutes, won't be making the trip for a turbo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM

yeah, but the lower vig and larger starting stacks in the multi is at least a good step.

things are not going to get better until the laws are dropped in this god forsaken state.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

things are not going to get better until the laws are dropped in this god forsaken state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any chance of this happening? I don't live in Florida but would love to go there if the poker was better.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:04 PM

VT, not as long as "the mouse" is in charge down here, tourism rules and they won't have their pie sliced [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but the lower vig and larger starting stacks in the multi is at least a good step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I talked to a couple who've played there already, word is getting out.

They do start at T3500 like Silks did last year, now it's at T2500. And it should be 15 levels for the 1st 3 then up to minutes, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:07 PM

Playing at Silks today and heard them trying to start up an "Action Hold 'Em" table....pf everyone antes $2, then it's the regular $1/2 from there, never did get a game going that I saw....
Old 12-23-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing at Silks today and heard them trying to start up an "Action Hold 'Em" table....pf everyone antes $2, then it's the regular $1/2 from there, never did get a game going that I saw....

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got back from Palm Beach where they spread "action" $2-2 straight limit with $2 ante. Most pots were raised once preflop, so with 10 to the flop (standard) you had an average $60 pot and would get 30:1 or better to call a bet on the flop. Brilliant!

On a better note I saw a news piece that Suncruz was coming back to Palm Beach in January to compete with the Princess which should be an uptick for the poker scene.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the new one thats supposed to be opening up out of John's Pass?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:21 PM

I haven't heard much about the boats but I'm thinking about giving them a shot, as the mtt structures at Derby and Silks here in Tampa are simply asinine!

Silks has dropped to 15 minute levels and tonite was the last time I will play there, sad really as I like the room and players but NO WAY in the world I can justify a $32+13 with ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone heard anything about the new one thats supposed to be opening up out of John's Pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know if you get info on that..