Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Rivered str8 flush, hows my line? chip extraction?

On this hand I'm specifically wondering both how my line is with regards to set up getting paid off on the river and how, as played, I'm getting paid off here.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1280)
UTG (t3140)
UTG+1 (t1440)
MP1 (t1820)
MP2 (t110)
MP3 (t1380)
Hero (t2110)
Button (t740)
SB (t1480)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t20, Hero calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls t60.

Turn: (t240) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t240) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t140</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ????

Again Im interested in what you guys think the optimal line from the flop onwards is and also how to extract chips as played.

Thanks in advance

AC
Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Rivered str8 flush, hows my line? chip extraction?

I'm betting this turn pretty much all the time as played, although I fold PF and check flop. MP3 can't really suspect a straight here and will likely pay off a 2/3ish pot bet. That jack can't be a huge scare card. As played I raise it to around 350-400 on the river, but extraction becomes easier if you bet the turn.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:47 AM

I don't mind preflop. A fold is good too.

I hate flop. Every time you make a bet, ask yourself what you think the bet accomplishes. I don't think you can find many good reasons for this bet.

Turn is an easy bet, t160 sounds good.

On the river make it something like t380 and pray villain has something.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 AM

i would have bet 1/2 pot on turn to get more in the pot. raised the river to 500 and pray he has ace high flush but i think he is making a defensive bet
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 AM

I agree - flop bet here accomplishes nothing. Bloats pot where you have a gutshot draw. Very little chance of getting everyone to fold, so its a lousy spot so semi-bluff.

Turn would be a much better spot to semi-bluff.

I might push river and hope he made his draw too. Sometimes he'll fold where he would have called a smaller bet, but I think you may get called enough to make it the most +EV move.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn would be a much better spot to semi-bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

He turned the nuts...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:17 PM

If you are going to play this hand...raise pre-flop or fold. As played, I agree that the bet on the flop was a useless bet that I actually might make from time to time cause I suck at poker. You also did something I would do on the turn with the nuts and that is check behind, A bet on the turn increases the pot with a pretty well disguised hand. If you bet the turn, a shove on the river is called more often, as played, raise to around 500-600 as a shove here is a rediculous overbet (though might be seen as weak, so maybe a shove is still good here).

But im a donk
Old 12-23-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I might push river and hope he made his draw too. Sometimes he'll fold where he would have called a smaller bet, but I think you may get called enough to make it the most +EV move.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is possibly true. Making a smaller value bet has lower variance though. I think a river push here is a very interesting move.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are going to play this hand...raise pre-flop or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given sizes of stacks and blinds, I have absolutely no problem with limping after 2 other limpers from position with this semi-valuable hand.