Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Calling stations affect steal range

Ok, I think this is a pretty big hole in my game right now and I'm out to fix it!

I'm just wondering what the correct way to deal with calling stations when you are stealing. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a calling station, but rather even just someone who defends an above average amount(which is usually a CS I guess).

Say it gets folded to you in CO and you have JTs. Typically I'm going to raise this up. I get called by a CS in the BB and the flop comes 954. At what point do you let off the throttle here. I think I have a big problem with situations like this... I think I might overplay here quite a bit just because I was the preflop raiser. I mean, of course cbetting HU is a given, but I tend to talk myself into "one more street of aggression" in order to get him to fold. Its so hard to put him on a hand here... He could have K3 or he could have T5.

Anyway, so say the turn missed me... Is it time to check behind and just give up since my jack high has zero showdown value?

I think this also seeps into my earlierP play where say I raise with AQ and miss the flop, yet I still want to "drive them out" since I was PFR.

Example... my omaholic buddy asks me "why the hell do you keep cbetting" when we're playing O8 together in a 5 way pot.

So should I just start open limping in CO here with JTs and a player w/7% fold BB to steal? Looking for valuetown when I pair up or letting go when he shows any aggression and I'm not getting odds to call to my overs? What if button comes along and then I'm OOP? Or even worse, if he raises?

Since I decided to start working on my game more, i've played 17k and my ASB is 32.4 and my wtsd is 32.1...
Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Calling stations affect steal range

Reads are essential when making these plays.
It is because of this kind of situations I use PAHUD.
Players stats are so important when it comes to continuation betting. Went to showdown stats,folding to turn and river bets is great help in these spots. I think you have to raise preflop (JTs is a good hand) and most times you have to bet turn also.Sometimes you even have to fire that last barrel UI too.
But betting the turn is essential since so many players call flop with overs or gsdraws. You don't have to fold them many times to make a profit.And of course it is much easier to get paid when you have top pair if you don't check turn when you miss.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:40 AM

Reads are essential when making these plays.
It is because of these kind of situations I use PAHUD.
Players stats are so important when it comes to continuation betting. Went to showdown stats,folding to turn and river bets is great help in these spots. I think you have to raise preflop (JTs is a good hand) and most times you have to bet turn also.Sometimes you even have to fire that last barrel UI too.
But betting the turn is essential since so many players call flop with overs or gsdraws. You don't have to fold them many times to make a profit.And of course it is much easier to get paid when you have top pair if you don't check turn when you miss.

I do think that calling stations affect your stealing range.I would think twice before raising JTo from CO against a no preflopfolder
Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 AM

I've been playing a lot of 6-max 1/2 lately. In most of these games most players defend their blinds relentlessly and play passively after the flop.

A strategy that has been effective for me when I suspect the blinds won't fold is to play only hands that fall into the top 30% or so for HU play. This includes any pair, any suited A, any A except A3o and A2o, suited K down to K5s, offsuit K down to K7o, QJ and QT suited or not, plus Q9s and Q8s. You'll often be the pre-flop favorite even if BOTH blinds call. From button or cutoff first in, I always raise with these hands.

These hands are so strong heads up that you're usually in the driver's seat post flop and you can bet them aggressively. Be sure to bet or raise when you flop a good straight or flush draw. If you get resistance, occasionally -- but only occasionally -- fire a second bullet on the turn. If you're up against a passive player who bets into you and you missed the flop, it's usually safe to assume villain has paired something and play accordingly -- usually that means fold. You'll often get your investment back with interest next time around the table. Keep in mind you just about CAN'T bluff these guys. Value bet them to death when you hit the flop or hold strong overcards to a ragged flop.

JTo I usually fold from cutoff and either raise or fold from the button. I'll usually go ahead and raise JTs from either CO or button, but you have to be aware it's not the greatest hand heads up. In the example you gave I'd bet the flop and then hope to check it down. Usually villain will have a pair or an A or K to call your flop bet, and as mentioned above, you can't bluff him. If he checks the turn and you check behind and he bets the river and you haven't improved, you've got a decision, but you won't give up much if you usually fold.

Apanage is absolutely correct in emphasizing the importance of reads. You'll often find yourself on the button against opponents who WILL fold their blinds. Then you need to be stealing from the button with all sorts of junk. In the absence of reads, however, in a 1/2 online game, IMO you won't go far wrong assuming that at least one of the players behind you is a passive defender.
SK