Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Q for the \"Pros\": How much study time?

These questions have probably been asked in some shape or form, and if there is a thread already existing that someone knows about, please post it. If not...

I'm wondering, from those of you who multi table and play at least 25 hrs/week, how much time you spend playing, and how much time you spend "studying". "Studying" can include going back and looking at HHs, posting, running hands through SNGPT, watching others play, or anything else you might do (if there is anything else, please post about it). I guess I would like to know a ballpark figure of how much you spend doing each, for instance, if you spend 30 hrs a week playing, and 4 hrs/week looking over old HHs. Also, if you post in here while you are playing or some other time would be helpful as well.

I'm really committed to getting better, and I feel like studying past mistakes (and even the good stuff), is a crucial part of getting better. Any info on your habits can help me tremendously.

Thanks,

P.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Q for the \"Pros\": How much study time?

[ QUOTE ]
These questions have probably been asked in some shape or form, and if there is a thread already existing that someone knows about, please post it. If not...

I'm wondering, from those of you who multi table and play at least 25 hrs/week, how much time you spend playing, and how much time you spend "studying". "Studying" can include going back and looking at HHs, posting, running hands through SNGPT, watching others play, or anything else you might do (if there is anything else, please post about it). I guess I would like to know a ballpark figure of how much you spend doing each, for instance, if you spend 30 hrs a week playing, and 4 hrs/week looking over old HHs. Also, if you post in here while you are playing or some other time would be helpful as well.

I'm really committed to getting better, and I feel like studying past mistakes (and even the good stuff), is a crucial part of getting better. Any info on your habits can help me tremendously.

Thanks,

P.

[/ QUOTE ]

About 5 mins a week, when I run a hand that I'm not sure about through SNGPT. But I already know everything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, there's no magic ratio. But I don't know why you would go pro until you were to the point where you could handle the vast majority of hands with just a split-second of thought.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:34 PM

I'm too busy pwning bitches to study.

And when I'm not doing that I'm watching Penn State beat Ohio State.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Easy on that!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 02-08-2006, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should read the title to my post before posting next time. In particular, the word in quotes.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 PM

Degen,

Can you give ball park numbers here for when you are playing lots/studying little and vice versa? This is what I'm interested in. Do you look at one hand at a time, or spend an hour reviewing several hands?

P.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should read the title to my post before posting next time. In particular, the word in quotes.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone smell that? Smells like burning.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM

I've been playing 40hr/week. About half live, half online. My brain is mush afterwards, but I stumble to 2 discussion groups, read as much as possible(just finished Lingren's book), occasionally put a couple of hands into SNGPT, or, lately, read through Giga's tourneys...

I have no life outside of poker. As far as I'm concerned it's a race to be bankrolled before the boom starts dieing off. But then, I don't have much tolerance for day jobs.

John