Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: going to vegas for christmas. is ballys the best game

Being that Christmas is the slowest time of year in Vegas (which changes dramatically to the busiest time vome New Years), I recommend sticking toward the VERY tourisy places.

Considering you are used to a $300 max game, I recommend Ballys over MGM. MGM has a 1/2 $200 max which has gotten old as far as I am concerned. Just not enough starting chips. I like the $300 max offered at Ballys/Paris/Harrahs. TI and Caesars have a $500 max, but their rooms are drawing significantly more locals this time of the year.

Tourist heavy poker rooms during Christmas will be Ballys/Flamingo/Harrahs/Excalibur, and MGM.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being that Christmas is the slowest time of year in Vegas (which changes dramatically to the busiest time vome New Years), I recommend sticking toward the VERY tourisy places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday seemed wacky busy. 11:30am traffic on I15 northbound was slow and backed up past Russell, and the Caesars noon tourney had 98 entrants. And we had enough cash players to get two (count 'em, TWO) HORSE games going after the tourney. Perhaps Christmas coming on Monday has folks rushing to Vegas this weekend for a quick pre-Xmas vacation.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM

wow, I played the nooner last week and it had 88 players, thought that was good for the time of year. I put myself on the mix game list every time I am in that room, it has never gone, two tables of HORSE sounds awesome (how did it play??)
Old 12-22-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, I played the nooner last week and it had 88 players, thought that was good for the time of year. I put myself on the mix game list every time I am in that room, it has never gone, two tables of HORSE sounds awesome (how did it play??)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as wild as I expected, actually. Mix games at Rio tends to have TONS of action and I've seen some >$300 4/8 pots pushed there. But last night was tame--slightly different crop of players than the Rio mix regulars. I think we capped pre-flop once. Only hit 4 bets on the turn or river maybe two or three times all night. We played the O/8 with a half-kill requiring a $60 scoop to trigger, and we regularly had <$60 scooped pots so getting a kill was unusual ('cept for the time the Mizzou dude scooped 3 large pots in a row).

I did get annoyed about one thing. The floor absolutely, staunchly REFUSED to let us modify the HORSE games... We asked over and over and he would not let us remove stud or Razz, or add triple draw or badugi. I don't get it, and if I play again I'm gonna be more vocal about being allowed to pick our own games. A wide variety of excuses for not letting us do this were offered, some conflicting, none convincing.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Thread Hijack.

Does Ballys/Flamingo/Harrahs/Excalibur/MGM have a game running over 500NL? Maybe 1kNL? If so how does it run?

Also I heard there was an uncapped 1/1 game at Luxor. I was thinking of buying in and donking it way the hell up. Any help appreciated.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thread Hijack.

Does Ballys/Flamingo/Harrahs/Excalibur/MGM have a game running over 500NL? Maybe 1kNL? If so how does it run?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. With the possible exception being WSOP time frame, a game of those stakes never happens at the properties you mentioned (MGM being the possible, rare exception).

I have not heard of an uncapped NL game ever happening at Luxor. It may have happened once, but it is not a regularly spread game there.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thread Hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. With the possible exception being WSOP time frame, a game of those stakes never happens at the properties you mentioned (MGM being the possible, rare exception).

I have not heard of an uncapped NL game ever happening at Luxor. It may have happened once, but it is not a regularly spread game there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Would there be any games above 500NL worth playing anywhere in Vegas? If not what about a good midlimit game like 20/40 or 30/60? (I heard limit is kinda dying there though)
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM

Keep in mind that Vegas does not call NL games by their max buy ins like they do in LA or online. It is by blinds.

Most 2/5 games have a $500-$1000 max. 2/5 with 1K max can be found at Venetian. Wynn has no max buy ins on any of their NL games. Wynn gets 2/5 as well as 5/10Nl going fairly regularly.

Bellagio has a $500 max on thier 2/5 game.

If you are looking for a game with a $1K max or no cap, you are pretty much limited to Venetian (2/5), Wynn, or Bellagio.

Middle limits like 30/60 and up will only be found at Bellagio and Wynn (mirage to a greatly lesser extent).
Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that Vegas does not call NL games by their max buy ins like they do in LA or online. It is by blinds.

Most 2/5 games have a $500-$1000 max. 2/5 with 1K max can be found at Venetian. Wynn has no max buy ins on any of their NL games. Wynn gets 2/5 as well as 5/10Nl going fairly regularly.

Bellagio has a $500 max on thier 2/5 game.

If you are looking for a game with a $1K max or no cap, you are pretty much limited to Venetian (2/5), Wynn, or Bellagio.

Middle limits like 30/60 and up will only be found at Bellagio and Wynn (mirage to a greatly lesser extent).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh alright. I play so much online I'm used to 100BBs being the max. $1000 max should be just about right. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:16 AM

Caesars 2/5 is no cap also...