Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 AM

Default 360 Disc Problems

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I got a 360 about a month ago, and borrowed a couple games from my brother. One had a couple minor scratches, the other was pretty darn near perfect. I went off and on playing the two of them, and had been playing one for a couple days straight without it leaving the console. Then, I go to turn the console on, and it says the disc isn't recognized. Weird. Do all the tricks, and it STILL won't read the disc. Oh well, it made me kind of mad because the disc barely had any scratches on it, but I didn't think much of it. But then, today, the OTHER game I had been playing isn't recognized! I take a look at both of the discs, and each has a similar marking coming from the center of the disc. Not a scratch, but a small, diamond shaped irregularity. I might just be paranoid, but could my system be doing that to the discs somehow? I'm afraid to try a new disc (which are readable, btw). I've heard of the "moving horizontal to vertical" problem, and I know it's not that. It just seems really weird since both times it has happened the game pretty much hadn't left the console, and had been running fine. Any thoughts? I'm waiting on XBOX support, but am not giving that much hope.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: 360 Disc Problems

Yes, I've heard others having the same problem. Microsoft apparently denies it (not very surprising).
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM

No idea about the 360 but I had a PS2 that scratched whatever disc you put in it so it's certainly possible.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 PM

This same thing happened to me. I just sent mine back to the repair center yesterday. I kept getting disc read errors despite having no noticeable scratches on games. I think your dvd drive is about to take a dump on you.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 PM

I had that happen with a new copy of Oblivion multiple times, particularly after leaving it running for days. Restarting usually fixed it. Never had a major problem with any other disk.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:44 PM

First never move your 360 when its on, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do that... Other than that, if you keep them in the origonal box (cd case) they can get chiped in the center of the disk. Keep them in a CD sleve booklet.

I will try to find a link to more info and post it.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...ght=disk+crack

might help
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went off and on playing the two of them, and had been playing one for a couple days straight without it leaving the console ... I take a look at both of the discs, and each has a similar marking coming from the center of the disc. Not a scratch, but a small, diamond shaped irregularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen something similar. Try not leaving the discs in the console when it's not in use. I have no explanation for why this has made a difference with my 360 and discs, but it seems to help with that particular problem.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM

I get so many 360 games that come back with the "ring of death" that comes from moving the 360 with a disc inside. They all try and deny it of course, but when we rent all the new system games we show the customer the condition of the disc and let them know if it comes back any differently they get charged for the game.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First never move your 360 when its on, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do that... Other than that, if you keep them in the origonal box (cd case) they can get chiped in the center of the disk. Keep them in a CD sleve booklet.

I will try to find a link to more info and post it.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...ght=disk+crack

might help

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading that thread, it sounds like that's what it is, and "that" is shoddy game cases. It makes sense. The haters there are saying "you should take care of your **** and be careful taking it in and out." The fact is, myself, and I'm sure most with this problem, have been using DVD's/old Xbox games for some time, and this is the first time this has been a problem. Some guy in there said Microsoft might actually do something with there own games, so maybe there's hope.