Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 09:39 AM

Default 5NL TPTK vs. flop raise

I have about 600 hands on villain all at 6 max (27/1/1), he is very passive pf. He gets alittle more alert on the flop and can be quite agressive occassionally, I assume he does this mainly with good made hands because I haven't seen him get caught making a memorable bluff and he wins at sd (60%).

My rep with him should be a bit laggy, but not crazy.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $3.85
UTG+1: $15.33
Esmerelda: $12.01
Button: $4.38
SB: $5.85
BB: $8.17

Pre-flop: (6 players) Esmerelda is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Esmerelda raises to $0.2</font>, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($0.47, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Esmerelda bets $0.35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $1.4</font>, Esmerelda ???

I still have the most trouble responding to agressive play. My thinking here is calling is a bad idea since another bigger bet is probably coming. Do I just fold this because I don't want to play for my stack with a a pair?

I am curious what responses people in this situation and why? If villain is a trickier lag for example?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 5NL TPTK vs. flop raise

Folding here with TPTK in this board is very weak imo. you have position here, so I would call. You both are very deep, so I wouldn't say you are playing for your whole stack in this hand. Reevaluate turn.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:55 AM

A limp-call and then a check-raise just looks too strong. He probably sixes or fours.

At the moment I am trying to learn to click the fold button in this situation, so I say fold, ul.

Edit: or yes you could call and reevaluate. I need to do that more too. But I bet he has you beat.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 AM

Esmerelda calls.

and so I did feeling very weak and foolish.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.27, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $3.3</font>, Esmerelda ???

I guess my questiion is what is justifying the call on the flop if I fold to this bet. The turn card didn't change anything but it was likely to change anything.

The only way reevaluating pays is if he is making a move and gives it up (or I hit a Q), is this really worth it. I suppose I could make a raise and see how he reacts but I doubt this is +ev against this guy.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM

With Your read on that specific Villain fold. Against the average donk in this level, I usually raised al-in. People called a lot with air or TPWK, middle pair, draws, whatever. In this limit TPTK is often good enough to move all-in. Playing this way, I earned a proper bankroll to move up in levels within 3 weeks. But with Your specific read on that donk, make an exception and fold this time.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With Your read on that specific Villain fold. Against the average donk in this level, I usually raised al-in. People called a lot with air or TPWK, middle pair, draws, whatever. In this limit TPTK is often good enough to move all-in. Playing this way, I earned a proper bankroll to move up in levels within 3 weeks. But with Your specific read on that donk, make an exception and fold this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??? I have been very much finding that it is not. Did you play at stars?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah I play at stars, I have been noticing a lot of weak tight postflop players during the day. Things are a lot more aggro at night and then maybe pushing with TPTK is smarter.

Still curious about possible lines and reasoning here because I am close to moving up to 25NL and I figure I will be seeing a lot more of this.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 PM

Possible lines:

call, call river PSB
raise/fold
raise/call, call river PSB
fold

raise/fold might actually not be a bad one. A raise here shows serious strength. Say we raise to 9. If the guy calls we're done with the hand. That's cost us $9.

If we call $3 and then call up to a PSB we're going to spend (and probably lose) up to $12. Our only hope for a +EV scenario after a turn call would be if he checks or blocker bets the river and we check behind.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 PM

can't seem to edit but I wanted to say that my situation is NOT likely to change on the turn so the logic of calling escaped me. I guess calling down hoping the bets stay reasonable is a way to play when I think villain is overplaying tp.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM

id call flop to re-evaluate turn and probably fold the turn given a PSB and ur read on the villan.