Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 AM

Default KCL hand

It is heads-up in tonight's Kansas City Lowball tournament on Games Grid. I have a healthy chip lead and the blinds are 100/200 with a 50 chip ante.

SB limps in and I check with KQJ92. Button draws one and I rap pat. I check, and SB makes a slightly larger than pot-sized bet (about 600 chips into a pot of 500) and I fold. SB shows 75432.

Did Villain play this hand brilliantly or stupidly?

Did Hero play this hand brilliantly or stupidly?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: KCL hand

Hard to say without knowing how the play had gone before this...could villian have made more money against you if he'd bet less, perhaps he was hoping you'd check raise. Your a dog to a one card draw with a king so I'd guess after you stood pat he thought you were stronger and may reraise.
I play this in my weekly game and it's probably my favourite, I hate it heads up unless I have a perfect read on my opponents.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Default My answer

Villain almost certainly made a Sklansky-style "mistake". But he might have made two mistakes!

Suppose Villain has 7432 and has to draw because he has an ace or a pair. If he knew what I had, he should min-raise because I would make a small mistake by folding. I am exactly a 2:1 dog to win, and the pot would be offering me slightly better than 2:1 because of the antes.

On the other hand, most of the hands that Villain could have already beat me! With these hand Villain should raise and take the pot (rather than giving me a small chance of drawing out if I managed to draw perfectly); failing that he should at least stand pat behind me. So Villain most likely made a drawing "mistake" as well.

In the normal course of events, of course, Villain doesn't know I have K-high, but he still shouldn't slowplay here. He wants to get action on his strong draw and he only has two streets to get the money in.