Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Re: I\'M The One Who Is Impolite And Prejudiced??

[ QUOTE ]

Most doctors don't worship the dread disease. You do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts grow successively more ludicrous.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because, that is their religious belief and is in no way meant to be personal

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nothing personal, but you, your wife, and your children will all be suffering unimaginable torture for eternity. Have a nice day."

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much, I know you are joking when you say this of course but its true.

Now I dont run around yelling to people like HEY, you are going to hell you stupid heathen, but if someone asks me if I believe that they are going to hell if they dont believe I'm not going to lie either. I'm not sure how thats rude at all?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I dont run around yelling to people like HEY, you are going to hell you stupid heathen, but if someone asks me if I believe that they are going to hell if they dont believe I'm not going to lie either. I'm not sure how thats rude at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it implies some sort of moral failing on their part simply because they do not belong to the same group you do.

If you belonged to a country club, and told your black friend "It is my belief that you will never be able to join my club because you are black", isn't that rude? And you haven't even condemned your friend to eternal torture!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it implies some sort of moral failing on their part simply because they do not belong to the same group you do.

If you belonged to a country club, and told your black friend "It is my belief that you will never be able to join my club because you are black", isn't that rude? And you haven't even condemned your friend to eternal torture!

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone asks him where he thinks they are going when they die, what is he supposed to do, lie? Don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:32 AM

In my eyes u r nothing but a fundamentalist atheist
Old 12-22-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my eyes u r nothing but a fundamentalist atheist

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not qualified to make that analysis.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your posts grow successively more ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm....

IF you are correct, possibly I'm seeing things differently than other atheists on this, and they can explain it to me. I'll wait and read.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:03 AM

But is sklansky?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone asks him where he thinks they are going when they die, what is he supposed to do, lie? Don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for realizing my point, unlike many here. At least I know that I made it clear enough to someone I'm not some self-righteous nutcase.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because, that is their religious belief and is in no way meant to be personal

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nothing personal, but you, your wife, and your children will all be suffering unimaginable torture for eternity. Have a nice day."

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much, I know you are joking when you say this of course but its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be interesting.

So, you tell me that I'm going to burn forever with my friends and family. Even if I ask why, you just point to a book that I need to follow if I want to avoid that. The attack on my intelligence is only implied, as only a dummy would choose eternal damnation over intellectual honesty in this brief stint on Earth.

This seems to add an entire level of douchebaggery to it all, since it becomes a socially acceptable thing to imply stupidity without really saying it. And since it's always merely implied, there's a required level of condescension to the communication to make it acceptable. And it's not socially acceptable to just say that you think the person is a moron for thinking or not thinking whatever is at bar.

But you might reply that you don't necessarily find them to be stupid, just lost (or whatever). But then that implies that you think it's not necessarily stupid to strive for a fiery eternity, which is nearly the definition of stupid. So you do think they're stupid, but you don't say it.

So is it just condescension that is acceptable over honesty, or is it something more? Could it be that telling someone that they'll be judged and punished for their actions is OK, but quickly and directly informing them how to do better next time is not?

Or does it just have to do with a latent insecurity of belief in most (not all) people, such that having the belief questioned strongly is an insult? I'd imagine that calling the Pope a moron for his beliefs wouldn't insult him, like David that he's a poker idiot wouldn't affect him. The Pope leads a pretty large cult, so he has a lot of support for his ideas. David knows with certainty that he's at least far above average as a player, so the insult is meaningless and ill-informed. If it were a 5-10 online player with mixed results, he'd probably feel insulted and either challenge me to a heads up match or feel bad about his game. Maybe the average Catholic is the same as that 5-10 grinder, and is full of doubt.

So, are any of these ideas close to the reality? I'd like to know. None of the explanations thus far in the thread do a decent job of showing why it's not a double standard for David to be the bad guy.