Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: An Interesting Read on Time Travel

This is a subject I have been thinking about a lot lately. Now, I'm not going to pretend to be a great physicist or methematician, but I thought I would share my two cents anyways.

So far I have thought of two different approaches to the 'grandfather' problem.

The first one is to imagine a multiverse instead of a universe. Imagine that this universe does not exist alone but is only one possible universe out of every possible universe. Basically, there exists a universe for every possible direction a universe could take. If you travel back in time you would basically travel back in time to the universe where you did travel back in time and kill your grandfather and you therefore do not exist in that universe.

Another thought I have had is that if you view time as another dimension, people are traveling through that dimension on a linear road. In order to exist, people, or anything, would have to be present in in all 4 dimensions. You canbnot see a two dimensional object, in order to see an object it would need three dimensions. But a three dimensional object which does not exist in time would be impossible to see as well. So by traveling back in time, the rest of the world would have traveled forward in time as time passes by, and there would therefore be nothing to see in the past. Not really sure what this theory implies though, and have thought of it while being stones most of the time.... Just interested to see what people better qualified in this field have to say about it really