Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Sit & Go starting hand selection

I understand that in multi table tournies you have to limp in with suited connectors in unraised pots wit a lot of limpers.
HOwever in sit & go'es how should i be playing in the early levels?
Should i be limping in with JK, QK, K10 etc or should I just be playing premium hands in the opening rounds?
Also in multi table tournies I like to play a little more creative, i.e if i sense weakness in a pot I am more than happy to try and knick it.
The impression I get however from posts and articles I read about sit and goes it's all about playing tight at the start, and loosening up in and around the bubble?
I haven't had the greatest of success so far in sit and goes, so what would you say is the best strategy.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Sit & Go starting hand selection

Early I just play the premiumhands. Roughly I raise QQ+/AK and try to limp with 22-JJ for set value. First in I try to raise a little bit more with hands like 99-JJ and AQ at times. I'm pretty sure I could loose up a bit more but this works out fine for me atm.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that in multi table tournies you have to limp in with suited connectors in unraised pots wit a lot of limpers.
Should i be limping in with JK, QK, K10 etc or should I just be playing premium hands in the opening rounds?
Also in multi table tournies I like to play a little more creative, i.e if i sense weakness in a pot I am more than happy to try and knick it.
The impression I get however from posts and articles I read about sit and goes it's all about playing tight at the start, and loosening up in and around the bubble?
I haven't had the greatest of success so far in sit and goes, so what would you say is the best strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking you should just fold hands like K-J, suited connectors, etc in the early rounds. Maybe at a later date, you can alter this strategy a bit, but for now, you'd be best off just sticking with premium starting hands.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When is this true in multi table tourneys? You want to be playing multiway pots with those hands, or be in position against raisers but generally just open limping is bad.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 PM

When people say loosen up later on, when is this? When how many people exactly get eliminated? ANd what does loosening up entail? Playing suited/unsuited connectors, KJ, QJ, AT, A9? People are so vague with this
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When people say loosen up later on, when is this? When how many people exactly get eliminated? ANd what does loosening up entail? Playing suited/unsuited connectors, KJ, QJ, AT, A9? People are so vague with this

[/ QUOTE ]
"People are so vague with this" because there is not a single answer to these types of questions. If you ask a vague question, you get a vague answer. It depends on your hand, your stack (and your oppononents' stacks), number of opponents, position, etc. You are almost asking for an answer on how to play an entire SNG. Post specific hands and people on this forum will gladly critique them.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM

When a style applies to so many people, there are general standards set. Loosening up is an extremely vague term, and there has to be a generally accepted standard to what point you loosen up to, and then people will find themselves a little tighter than that, a little looser than it, or around the same area, and if they are a LOT tighter or a LOT looser than those standards, then they are another style.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a style applies to so many people, there are general standards set. Loosening up is an extremely vague term, and there has to be a generally accepted standard to what point you loosen up to, and then people will find themselves a little tighter than that, a little looser than it, or around the same area, and if they are a LOT tighter or a LOT looser than those standards, then they are another style.

[/ QUOTE ]

sng are very mechanical, they're not really a personal thing at all. The reason why we can't (be bothered to) give a straight answer is because there are so many different situations that come up, just post hands and you'll get the hang of it.