Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Default 100NL 6max - my name is dnord and I am a nit

Let's scrub the turn and river here because I'm wondering about the flop. CO is 27/9/2.0 over 50 hands, and hasn't bowled me over with stupidity. UTG is a bright green 34/4/1.0.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed)

BB ($113.45)
UTG ($102.40)
MP ($140.50)
CO ($141.45)
Button ($96.40)
Hero ($116.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($16) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $15</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls $10.

So first: preflop. I had visions of deceiving CO - he's picking of a limper, maybe, but if he's not, then his narrow range could mean AA or KK, and whatever it is, I might be playing three-handed for a ton of money with a hand that doesn't play well three-way... but the call just looks crappy and weak-tight on paper. Oh well.

Then the post-flop action reconfirms all my fears. Is anyone interested in talking me into calling or even something more aggressive? Or is this how 6-max nits earn their nit badges at 100NL?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Re: 100NL 6max - my name is dnord and I am a nit

reraise preflop then lead the freaking flop
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 PM

how can you be so nitty??? is this a joke
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM

AA or KK are not all that makes up the top 9% of hands.
Forget about trying to deceive CO, just reraise for value and bet the flop.

Also - CO is likely to be raising many more hands than just AA or KK after UTGs weak lead.

Also - stop being such a nit
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 AM

My lord this is one of the nittiest things Ive ever seen. I dont think I can look anymore
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Okay, that pretty much gets to the heart of what I was thinking. In my defense, what are the hands that

a) can raise preflop or call a raise preflop, and
b) can see this flop (T62r) and say "yes, this is my kind of flop, let's start betting / calling"

...that I actually have beat?

9% = 88+, ATs+, AJo+, KTs+, KQo, QJs

like this flop a lot: ATs, TT, JJ+

I am ahead of: ATs, JJ

Now I'm not sure about the raiser: he could be representing some sort of range that doesn't have anything to do with those hands (like I said, he could be pushing a limper off his hand for a dollar) but the caller cannot be bluffing. I think once the half-pot reraise comes out, it's time to think about how much I want to get involved with two players we don't trust on a flop that didn't obviously help any hands we would have assumed were being played.

That said, the turn was a Q, there was more betting, and the river was an A, so my results-oriented side was burning up. The limper / caller showed QTs for two pair, beating the raiser's AJo.

So thanks for the input. I am new to 100NL and I think I'd be okay pushing this preflop (or reraising and leading flop) at 50NL, but at 100NL I just start thinking "am I better than a coinflip against anything that calls here?" I guess I thought it was closer than it really was, and next time I'll flex the "raise" button.