Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Real Life Deathmatch: Python vs Alligator

From CNN.com

In February 2004, tourists at the Pa-hay-okee Overlook watched, stunned, as a python wrapped itself around an alligator, which countered by rolling over and grabbing the snake in its mouth and swimming off. And then, last fall, the carcasses of a 13-foot python and a 6-foot gator that had squared off were found later floating in a marsh, the gator's tail and hind legs protruding from the split-open gut of the python.

I would imagine draws are pretty uncommon in deathmatches.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Real Life Deathmatch: Python vs Alligator

There was an entire show on I think the discovery channel about the dead python with the gator in in its mouth.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 PM

No kidding! I would have loved to see that.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM

I remember seeing that pic about a year ago...sick.
I forget why, but scientists seemed to think it's not good that the python can potentially win?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 PM

A while back I saw a show on discovery or something about Tigers. One of the coolest things I have ever seen was when a Tiger had just killed some kind of deer near a pond and was resting close by. A crocodile comes up out of the water and starts dragging the deer into the pond. The tiger goes to the edge of the water and stares at the croc for a good 5 or 10 seconds like he was assessing the situation. He finally decides "you ain't takin' my deer today croc!!" and starts wading out, when he gets close, the croc drops the deer and swims away. I did a quick search on youtube, I didn't find that video but I did find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wi5mR-kWM8

I have also heard of a mother baboon beating a croc to death after it killed it's baby.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A while back I saw a show on discovery or something about Tigers. One of the coolest things I have ever seen was when a Tiger had just killed some kind of deer near a pond and was resting close by. A crocodile comes up out of the water and starts dragging the deer into the pond. The tiger goes to the edge of the water and stares at the croc for a good 5 or 10 seconds like he was assessing the situation. He finally decides "you ain't takin' my deer today croc!!" and starts wading out, when he gets close, the croc drops the deer and swims away. I did a quick search on youtube, I didn't find that video but I did find this:

I have also heard of a mother baboon beating a croc to death after it killed it's baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I need to watch Disc. more often.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I forget why, but scientists seemed to think it's not good that the python can potentially win?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a big concern about pythons overrunning the everglades. They are not indigenous to the area, but many pet owners have dumped them there, and now they're breeding furiously. If they can kill even gators, that's bad news in terms of controlling/eliminating their population.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 AM

Yeah obv.; I feel stupid. Go gators!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 AM

Wow El Duderino. Great effin match up. For certain weight combinations of Alligator v. Python, this would be an epic battle. I wonder what the equivalent sizes are? Like Pythons in the 14-16 foot range are a good match for gators in the 5-6 foot range? Sounds like we need the scientific method here.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it may be a different one. but i saw one where it was a lion. and he swam out to the middle of the lake to take his kill back from the huge alligator.

i also saw one where an aniconda swims up under a smallish(250 lb) croc and jumps him and eats him.