FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Prop bet: 5.2 mile run

[ QUOTE ]
OP, sorry but you suck at prop bets

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 AM

i just recently started losing some weight over the last 2 months by eating right and walking on a treadmill every day. when i first started and was badly out of shape i could walk for 30 minutes at 3 miles an hour. 2 months later i am still overweight(about 250). last night i walked on the treadmill for one hour at 4 miles an hour with a 2 incline. it was hard as hell for me but even at 250 lbs i can walk 4 miles an hour for an hour. if your friend is in better shape than my 250 llb ass you are in trouble.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Hell, I could do this carrying a bucket of boiling oats.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"AND carry a twenty pound sack of potatoes"

I was thinking of taking that, then realized that I could easily have done this bet six months ago, at which point I had an extra twenty pound sack of potatoes on me!

[/ QUOTE ]

argg!!! so close!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a related note, I made a $300 prop bet with a friend that he could not run a 26.2 mile marathon in under 3:50. He is fairly athletic and not in horrible shape but has not exercised much since high school (6 years ago). He has until June to train. Only way bet gets cancelled is if he gets injured, not running the race means I win the bet (I think this is somewhat important). What do you think my odds are of winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he trains properly he has a great chance to win. However, it's going to be a big commitment for him for the next 6 months to build his body up to that. He may not understand just what is required of him.

Given that he hasn't exercised much in a while, there's a big chance he either undertrains or gets injured attempting to follow a program. If a running related training injury gave you the victory, I would like your odds a whole lot better.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a related note, I made a $300 prop bet with a friend that he could not run a 26.2 mile marathon in under 3:50. He is fairly athletic and not in horrible shape but has not exercised much since high school (6 years ago). He has until June to train. Only way bet gets cancelled is if he gets injured, not running the race means I win the bet (I think this is somewhat important). What do you think my odds are of winning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your odds are on this one, a 3:50 marathon is something like an 8:45/mile pace. For someone who currently isn't very active and only has 6 months to train, this is going to be tough. Out of curiousity, how tall/heavy is your friend?

edit: Also, have you picked the marathon yet? With a hilly course I'd like your odds even more.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 PM

try to buy out offer like $150 at first.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have your friend smoke two big fatties right before the run starts. This will make it a fair bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

he'll probably smoke one.

also, i have a hard time believing anyone who smokes 3 blunts a day and hasnt ran in years can average a 10 minute mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

i ran 13 miles at 8:30 a mile and smoked herb every day during training. not 3 blunts but i smoke dank so that would be a waste. proly smoked about 1/8th/week.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good bet for you if you didnt give an injury exemption.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM

so if he gets injured and doesn't run the race, the bet is cancelled? or is it just if he gets injured during the marathon?

whether or not this is a good bet for you mostly depends on your friend's build/weight. if he is skinny with strong legs you are going to lose, if he is stocky or has a large frame I like your chances a little better. I know some guys that can run a 3:50 marathon easy with 6 months training, other guys it's difficult for even with extensive training.