Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Another Top Pair, Bad Kicker...Bet Into The Field?

Table has been weak/tight & passive. Most giving up on the flop or turn. Button has been going to the river with junk.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero...

Here I go overthinking...does the fact that this "tight" table has 5 to the flop influence what you do on the flop? Is Top pair/weak kicker pretty much an automatic check into 4 players?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Another Top Pair, Bad Kicker...Bet Into The Field?

Given your description of the table and button I would check this one and see what develops.
It may make the turn easier to play.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 PM

*Grunch*

I'll assume button is aggressive enough to bet if checked to. Even if Hero bets, I don't think he'll get anyone to fold a K with a slightly stronger kicker, at least not for 1 bet. Most probably it'll be checked to the button who'll bet. Then Hero can raise so that he faces the field with having to call 2 bets.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM

bung,

I'm not sure I would assume that about button. I would probably bet into the field and see what they do. Esp. on a weak/tight table people will fold if the don't find anything. You won't fold draws, and stronger hands than yours, of course, but you don't necessarily want to fold draws and even two bets won't fold KT.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 PM

at first I thought checkraise this flop, but being that everyone is playing weak/tight, go ahead and bet it and see what happens.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM

Wow, you don't think that c/r with TPNK is a bit on the aggro side?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 PM

You're only thinking of it because of the read you have on button as a bit reckless and will raise most anything. Other wise c/f.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 PM

Ah, ok. I took "going to the river with trash" not automatically to meant "bets that same trash agressively".

I guess there's the additional point that people are more likely to play Ax than Kx. So while having A8 is quite a difference to having A6 or A5, maybe K5 isn't that much worse than, say K8 or so.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 PM

frete, we're only completely here because we're getting marginal pot odds to do so. While someone out there may have something along the lines of KT or KJ (if the table really is that tight) no reason not to fire off with top pair. We may just win it outright.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 PM

Default I Bet The Flop

For what it's worth I decided to bet the flop. I was hoping to get rid of some of the weak tighties and play with the button.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero...

Didn't quite work out. Anyone want to fire again?