Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Pocket Pairs- Raise or Limb

Texas Hold em NL Short

The odds of overcard to come on flop with JJ is about 55% (correct me if I am wrong). With that logic with is to play TT strong post flop 45 % of time. And with pockets below, you should only hit your set and get out. (logic?). Which means raising pre flop with JJ and limp with the rest.
However, this is not mainstreme thinking about this subject. Actually Im too raising pockets in general . I just don`t know well enough, why?
Key to this dilemma is that, when does your pocket have only set value? How does the position effect? limpers?

Arguments for limping are (for what i have heard): Just get there as chep as possible. If you make your set, there are only rare occasion when to fold.

-Arcuments for raising: Because that is just to way you play them u retard ..,...

-If you hit you set, you will propably get more action if you were the pre flop raiser. (That is what I dont understand).

-It is much more easier to hide. (someone limping and suddenly is willing to go all-in post flop).
Maybe that is a argument for higher stakes. I personally think it is overrated for lower limits.

So do you want to make pot big everytime you have pockets?
Of course the bigger the pot, the bigger the reward to your bets and action in general.
BUT you only hit you set only 12% of times. 88% you dont hit your set and have invested 4bb in the pot instead of 1bb.
Which one is actually better in long rung?

To illustrate this question I`ll make questions. So answer them one by one just simple call or raise.

IŽll leave Blind play with pockets out of this post.

Obviously this is all about being first to raise. Open or not.
----------------------------------------------------------
These are all general guide lines so im not going give accurate circumstansces about players.

1. TT on button. 3 limpers. Raise or call?

2.UTG TT. Raise or call?

3. CO 55. two limpers. Raise or call?

4. CO 55 no limpers. Raise or call?

5. 22 CO one limper. Raise or call?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs- Raise or Limb

1. raise or call
2. raise
3. call
4. raise.
5. depends on the limper.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:30 AM

when i say raise, i mean 4xBB + 1 for every limper unless otherwise noted.

1. raise
2. raise
3. id raise to $4, because i have no faith in people's ability to read pflop raise sizing at these stakes, and usually u get a flop and turn to pick up a set and u can often take pot on flop.
4. raise
5. raise to $3, $4 or $5 if ur feeling saucy.

This is how id play, but by all means not standard.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM

I notice that stack size hasn't been discussed. One reason to raise is to build a big pot for when you hit your set. You want enough in the pot pre-flop to get all the money in with the escalating bets on the flop, turn, and river. But if you or the probable opponents don't all have deeper stacks, this isn't necessary; you can probably get the money in by just calling.

Obviously, you sometimes raise for other reasons. But stack size should at least be considered.

Charlie
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM

raise all pocket pairs from all positions, apart from the blinds, unless someone is severely shortstacked or is 3 betting you a bunch behind you
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM

If you raise preflop you often take the pot down with a continuation bet postflop.
Obviously wheter to raise or not also depends on stack size and how your opponents play postflop.
My default play is usually to raise preflop.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 AM

First in I raise every PP for several reasons;
1) To hide my big pairs, if I'm only raising AK/AQ/JJ+ people will eventually catch up.
2) For FE, you will occasionally pick up the blinds and you will often pick up the pot with a c-bet.
3) To build a pot when you hit your set and villain has a decent hand.

As for your questions:
1) EZ raise for value and to limit the field.
2) Raise for value and to limit the field (TT isn't so hot in a 4-way pot).
3) Call, if the limpers are deep and/or weak I might raise it.
4) EZ raise for reasons stated above (mainly 2 and 3).
5) Depends on how weak and deep the limper is. The deeper he is the more likely I am to raise (for deception).
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise all pocket pairs from all positions, apart from the blinds, unless someone is severely shortstacked or is 3 betting you a bunch behind you

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? It seems wrong to be dogmatic about anything in NL. Raising out of position with small pairs on a constant basis seems like a good way to burn off a lot of chips. You need to win a BIG pot when you flop trips, and that requires deep stacks.

Charlie
Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? It seems wrong to be dogmatic about anything in NL. Raising out of position with small pairs on a constant basis seems like a good way to burn off a lot of chips. You need to win a BIG pot when you flop trips, and that requires deep stacks.

Charlie

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising all pocket pairs give you both initiative to C-Bet and take the pot down in the hand and a pot that your opponents are willing to fight for if you flop your set.
Flopping a set in a limped pot is like winning the special Olympics, you might have won, but its a small win and ur still retarted.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise preflop you often take the pot down with a continuation bet postflop.
Obviously wheter to raise or not also depends on stack size and how your opponents play postflop.
My default play is usually to raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is worded perfectly.