Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 AM

Default My Chances

My highschool grades are not that impressive, averaging a 3.7gpa. My Sat scores are much better though, 2100/2400 or possibly a little higher depending on how my next tests go. I have a year of speech and debate and 4 years of academic team but those are really my only other extra-curricular activities.

However, I went in to get tested for add because they think everyone has it. The test included an IQ test where my Verbal IQ was 150 but my performance IQ was 110. The difference between verbal and permorance is how you qualify for special education, (1.5 standard deviations to qualify = 22.5) and my 40point difference blows the minimum out of the water.

So while being in AP/IB classes throughout highschool, I'm actually elligible for special education.

What I'm wondering is how I milk that the most for my college essays next year, and how far it will get me. With high test scores will I be able to get into a good school like UCLA (bro went there if it helps) or even better? It seems if I'm lucky this will help alot.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Re: My Chances

So you're saying you want to use your ADD as an excuse not to write college essays? I'm confused. With high test scores and a good gpa (3.7 is good) you should be able to get into most schools.

I'm assuming you're a Junior since you haven't already submitted applications. My advice to you is work on getting a 4.0 this upcoming semester and apply as early as possible to you're preferred schools. Also there's a huge difference b/t 2100 and 2400 on the SAT.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: My Chances

Not as an excuse, but use it like how I had to strive to overcome the educational obstacles it threw in my path or something.

The 2100/2400 was 2100 out of 2400 not 21 slash 24.