Default Re: For those that think botting isn\'t too big of a problem

[ QUOTE ]
ummm....... play no limit.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course bots are profitable or they would not be used..period.

[/ QUOTE ]

By writing this you show that you do not even understand the fundamentals of poker.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 PM

Thats a fair statement, but if these guys get away with it at limit, within time they will surely develop a bot that can successfully play NL (if there is not already one). IMO sites need to work hard to protect players and get rid of these bots.

Edit: this was a reply to greg's post
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By writing this you show that you do not even understand the fundamentals of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? what has a bot being profitable got to do with me understanding fundamentals of poker?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Take a look at this thread:

bots problem
Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? what has a bot being profitable got to do with me understanding fundamentals of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is ultimately a human being that chooses whether or not the bot will play and at which level. Poker is an empirical proof of the fact that people overestimate their skill, especially in a game like poker where external factors can be blamed. That the bot owner/programmer has a bot between him and the table does not protect him from this effect. The majority of bots will be losing.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Poker is an empirical proof of the fact that people overestimate their skill, especially in a game like poker where external factors can be blamed. That the bot owner/programmer has a bot between him and the table does not protect him from this effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you totally here. That is the EXACT reason someone will use a bot. If its a bot playing at the table then it takes away the need for them personally to make decisions and ultimately, make mistakes. The bot takes away the human factor of playing online poker against other players. Yes a person will probably choose the level the bot plays at, but that decision is probably based on the chance of being caught. Also I believe from the bots on Absolute thread that a bot will join as many tables of three players or above as it possibly can.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Having looked at 3 of the bots that are available to the public, I find it hard to believe any of them could beat any 1/2 game or higher. All 3 have fundemental programing flaws.

Winning Bots may well exist, but the ones that are available were programed by people just trying to make a buck. Any winning poker player out there if given enough time to look over these public programs would know they are no threat no matter how long a person tweeks the sad bots.

All you have to do is read the forums and you will see it is made up of unethical hobbiests who have been suckered into paying for software that will only lose money online.

On a side note, has anyone presented HARD proof of any
winning poker bot? It seems like half the posts on 2+2 are about the rampant bot problem. If it were rampant I would think someone would have presented absolute proof by now.

Just because the masses think it exists doesn't mean it does. Religion is a good example of this.

Show me the beef!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM

So you don't think bot owners/programmers will overestimate the skill of their bot? What kind of magical personality change happens the moment you get a bot? The reason most players lose isn't due to mistakes, it is due to a misconception of their skill. That factor stays.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 PM

Burn,the Absolute thread is interesting in that no one has shown any evidence that they are bots.I didnt want to mention that there cause i wouldve been flamed.I have seen other threads where people have gathered reliable data and convinced me that bots were present.The OP in this case did no such thing,and eithor has anyone else that instantly agreed with him.Off subject i know,but just a thought,in case your using that particular thread as a reference while debating. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]