Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: I am a stud fish; tell me how I should\'ve played this

Since you don't have a chance to win the antes with a raise, limping 3rd is best. When making the transition from holdem to stud, it's important to learn that starting hands containing unpaired high cards are very marginal.

And 5th is a fold for the reasons mentioned. When a player raises you after you've paired your doorcard, he is either a maniac or he has a monster. You only have one pair with a gutshot, so it's best to minimize your losses and fold.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:30 PM

I couldn't say it better than Andy, he nailed it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian seemed to make a very good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, IMO, it would have been an even better play by villain if he had raised the double-bet on 4th street when his A hit the board. As a matter of fact, I played a hand very similar to this over the weekend where I was in villain's position.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM

Strategy in raising with big cards here is not so much to steal antes here as to take the pot if a scare card hits on 4th or 5th and your opponent blanks.

As pointed out by others here you are a dog to a smaller pair (about 60:40) if you were to play out to the river. But raise here with 3 big cards is based upon:

1)An opponent who would either limp in or raise with small pair (particularly with weak kicker)

2)Will lay down a pair on 5th to a scary board.

3)Does not view you as overly loose and aggressive and will have some respect for your play.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM

I may be the only one, but with so many of the straight cards dead, I fold third. What do you hope to accomplish with the completion? The Nine called into a board full of overcards; he has a playable hand. Scare cards are the same as straight/pair outs with your hand, so you don't have any extra cards to scare with.

Hero's hand only has value if the straight draw is very live, otherwise he's hoping to catch good, make a pair and have it hold up. The pair he doesn't even have yet has to hold up.

Think of all the times you start with a pair and it's no good on the end. This is a hand significantly worse than that. Fold it for free on third and save the hassle.