Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Tourney play v.s Cash game

Hi!

Im fairly new to O/8, played poker for about 4 years and tried almost every flavor. Got really hooked on O/8 Plo and specially sng´s. Done ok in those with decent results but when I try cashgame O/8 PLo it dont work at all. Whats the main differences between the games? Is it even worth the try to excell in both or should I stuck to sng´s were I at least make some money?

Regards,

/Bluffalo
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Tourney play v.s Cash game

I guess it depends on your goals.

If you're a recreational player and don't care much about moving up in limits then SnGs are fine. You won't see enough of these running at the higher limits if you plan on making huge amounts of money at o/8.

If you want to move up in limits then I'd go for PLo/8 or NLo/8 since you can find it running at higher limits.

If you want to clear a bunch of bonuses at new sites then "low limit" limit o/8 is probably the fastest "safe" way to clear them. That's one of the reasons I first learned the game. You could clear a bonus anywhere in a reasonable amount of time playing $.50/$1 or even $.25/$.50 since so many players see a flop a huge percentage of hands are raked. Plus it didn't take much strategy beyond play A2 and A3 suited to win at those limits so you could easily load up 8 tables and grind away a bonus while watching TV or surfing the forums. However I really have no clue what bonuses are out there anymore...back in the day you could practically be playing under a bonus 24/7.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 AM

If you want an accurate answer, you could read all of the posts on this forum. If you want something pithy, you could sum it up as 'nut-peddling vs selective agression'. (Cash v Tourneys). You've noticed that you can't always wait for the nuts in tourneys?

At what $ level PLO8 tourneys are you consistently winning the SNG's?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 AM

I play mainly the small ones up to $15 at PS until I get a bigger bankroll. I think thats why it works better for me at sng, because of the blinds increasing making it more important on postflop play. And knowing that handvalues changes shorthanded. Unfortunatelly PS is not the best site to grind for bonuses but I really prefer PS over the other sites I have tested.