Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Premonitions

vhawk's super long post is likely to be correct. I've studied memory and the mind a fair bit and it's incredible how "false" memories really are. You add a ton in and subtract a ton out.

What probably happens is that you have these short fleeting "feelings" more often than you think. When you were wrong you probably dismiss it and never think about it again. Those ten times you were right it probably became a big deal, you thought about it a lot, etc. and you convinced yourself that you this feeling was somehow "stronger" than other feelings you've had.

How many times do you have a feeling you are going to get sucked out? Maybe something about that specific time you hit that was the "special premonition" made it more salient in your mind. Perhaps you were tired, had been drinking, just got laid, etc. It's probable that your emotional state got wrapped up into the mix and caused you to believe something incredible had happened.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

As humans, we are pretty good at convincing ourselves of some pretty strange things.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chez?

Are you there? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still there? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 AM

You probably only remember the times these "feelings" came out with the outcome you "predicted." Humans have a tendency to do that. Sometimes when I am about to call someone, they call me as I pick up the phone. I dont consider that premonition because of the thousands of other times where that didn't happen.

There is no reason for us to remember results that didn;t happen, so its very likely that this has happened to you many times and the result was that the thing didnt happen. You dont remember it because there is no reason to.

Premonition doesn't exist.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, then how do you explain this note that I wrote in word 3 days ago:

"You probably only remember the times these "feelings" came out with the outcome you "predicted." Humans have a tendency to do that. Sometimes when I am about to call someone, they call me as I pick up the phone. I dont consider that premonition because of the thousands of other times where that didn't happen.

There is no reason for us to remember results that didn;t happen, so its very likely that this has happened to you many times and the result was that the thing didnt happen. You dont remember it because there is no reason to."
Old 12-18-2006, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's true, then how do you explain this note that I wrote in word 3 days ago:

"You probably only remember the times these "feelings" came out with the outcome you "predicted." Humans have a tendency to do that. Sometimes when I am about to call someone, they call me as I pick up the phone. I dont consider that premonition because of the thousands of other times where that didn't happen.

There is no reason for us to remember results that didn;t happen, so its very likely that this has happened to you many times and the result was that the thing didnt happen. You dont remember it because there is no reason to."

[/ QUOTE ]

Its because my pet monkey just typed romeo and juliet on a typewriter.