Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 AM

Default flop set on 3 flush board OOP

Still pretty new to No limit and have been doing pretty good so far. Currently playing the micros on stars and find some difficult spots every now and then.

Villain's on my right and I've been pretty aggressive the whole session and have taken quite a bit of pots with big bets on later streets. Villains called down a few times when I actually had a hand. Seemed to be tilting a little a few hands ago. Once went all in with Ace high on the flop after I raised big pre-flop. This was following him losing 2 or 3 pots to me in a row. I called and he caught his hand to win.
10 or 20 hands later this hand comes up

Should I fold preflop to the raise? and should I play more aggressive on the flop or fold? what about the turn donk/fold? Villain is 70vpip and 5pfr.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

cardsharkali ($12.57)
BB ($5.62)
UTG ($10.26)
UTG+1 ($1.06)
MP1 ($5.23)
MP2 ($2.07)
CO ($5.18)
Button ($2.42)

Preflop: cardsharkali is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, cardsharkali completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $0.1</font>, UTG calls $0.08, UTG+1 calls $0.08, cardsharkali calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
cardsharkali checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.14</font>, cardsharkali calls $0.14, BB calls $0.14, UTG folds.

Turn: ($0.82) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">cardsharkali bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $3</font>, UTG+1 folds, cardsharkali folds.

Final Pot: $4.82
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Re: flop set on 3 flush board OOP

You should probably bet to find out where your hand stands, continuation bet for 1/2 the pot would be fine. If he comes over the top for a huge raise after your first bet, then you save yourself a buck. If he calls then you can check the turn and see if he checks. If he does you can see the river and hope to pair the board for a boat. If not check and see if he puts out a small bet. You're probably beat, but if it's cheap enough, you can consider paying it off to get some info for later. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 PM

sorry i put a typo in the op. Villain(BB) is actually on my left and he was the preflop raiser. So it's on him to C-bet. He checks the flop and when LP bets should I raise? or should i just bet out here on the flop? I'm more worried with BB having AA when he raises the turn then him having a flush.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:59 PM

PF - easy call closing the action with a chance to put players in the middle when you hit your set, no worries there.
Flop - I always lead here, the pfr is oop with two behind on a monotone flop. (EDIT: so a cbet may not look attractive to him) Don't mind the check so much on less drawy boards and in practice I stack off to a flush with a set quite a lot because it's difficult to tell the difference between a made flush and a big draw.
That's not to say the original flop check was a huge error or anything, I just think leading out gains some value over time. But once UTG+1 bets I think you HAVE to raise unless you can put him on a flush/higher set with some certainty (unlikely)
You are pretty deep so some caution is called for but UTG+1 did you a huge favour. Take advantage of it.
Turn is tricky as played. Could be anything - AA Ax KK JJ (I've seen it before [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) given the uncertainty and effective stacks I quite like your fold but the hand has kind of meandered to this point and you pretty much gave him a free card that probably helped him (whether to top set or one/two pair we don't know)
At the table if I got to this stage I'd prob push hoping for AdKx (or something that gives me a shot at least) then stab myself in the leg with a fork when I saw he hit a two-outer for a near-600bb pot and it only cost him 7bb to see the turn. The flop check-call leans me toward AdKx a little but not enough to be really confident.
Monotone flops used to freeze me with low sets but betting them on the flop at some point is the best way to play them imo. And the bet is usually for value. Bottom set is good here a huge percentage of the time.
EDIT: I used to cringe and fold a lot in this type of situation (where I thought I'd misplayed an earlier street, it still happens quite a lot [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) but the push is win-win in that you take his cash or relearn a lesson (if you agree with me, anyway)
The table is pretty deep and I don't play 300bb stacks much so I could be wrong of course [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM

I'm not folding here at the microstakes against a 70vpip (I missed his agression rating though).
Old 12-17-2006, 07:29 PM

I think you are right sputum, and I needed to raise big on the flop. Villain is loose pre-flop, but he is not a loose raiser and is not aggressive post-flop(save that one donk all in when he was tilting) The turn raise is essentially a 4 dollar raise with his stack behind which is why i think the fold is ok but I might be wrong. I really think the flop play was where I went horribly wrong in the hand.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are right sputum, and I needed to raise big on the flop. Villain is loose pre-flop, but he is not a loose raiser and is not aggressive post-flop(save that one donk all in when he was tilting) The turn raise is essentially a 4 dollar raise with his stack behind which is why i think the fold is ok but I might be wrong. I really think the flop play was where I went horribly wrong in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, folding is where you went horribly wrong. Though you should have lead / raised the flop.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 PM

I think you need to write a little more then that if you want your post to be worthwhile. Why is the fold wrong?