Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Does this look like a good MMA school?

Combatative martial arts academy

Right now my training routine is sort of weaksauce. I take private lessons once a weak from Sifu Jeff Scharlin

I don't have a lot of money, and it's like $60 a pop. This is actually a really reasonable rate for private lessons in Jeet Kune Do. Ideally, I would hire him 3x a week, but that's too much for me at the moment. I think he's really good.

Also, I try to meet up with this other beginning Jeet Kune Do student once a week in the park near my house. We do some flow drills, hit focus mitts , and some footwork stuff.

I also meet up with an assistant instructor that offers free classes on sundays. My training partner goes too. The assistant instructor in JKD also studies classical Jiu-Jitsu, and he incorporates some of that, as well as Kali knife disarms.

I've been doing this for the past 5 months, and I dunno if it's the best way for me to train. The combatitive martial arts academy is like $150 a month, and they have a lot of classes. The classes are fairly small, the instructor is good, and they also offer weekly training in brazilian jiu-jitsu, basic self-defense muay thai, and savate.

Also, I figure I can meet up with some of the students outside of class for extra work.

I'm concerned that my current training program is weak because: The assistant instructor on sundays teaches me different stuff than I study with my friday sifu. And it's confusing. Also, my current training partner isn't very skilled. He's better than I am, but not by that much. Also, I don't like how rigid he is, and his lead punch sucks something awful.

Advice please?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Does this look like a good MMA school?

this is the BJJ instructor at the school. It looks like he's no slouch. this Muay Thai dude teaches there too.

I dunno how much I wanna do Muay Thai. I like BJJ a lot, but I'm mainly interested in the efficiency of Jeet Kune Do.
Originally, when I started studying MA, I thought I would just hire someone to teach me hot to use a knife, and then study Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu just in case I can't get my knife out in time.

I'm not totally sure what my exact goals are right now, but I like jeet kune do a lot.

BTW, I'm only really interested in self-defence. I don't care about 1 on 1 bar fighting or fighting in a ring. I just wanna be able to ruin someone's night if they attack me or try to mug me or attack one of my friends. I wanna hurt them badly, and then escape.

I'm also interested in getting in better shape, and hopefully making some friends. Man I gotta quit smoking. Maybe all the cardio in the JKD school will cure me of that habit.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:13 AM

The main dude at that school is more spiritual my my current sifu.

I told my current Sifu about a couple encounters I got into, and he was really surprised at how calm/non violent I was. One time two white supremicists were chasing me down the street in the middle of the night out in the boonies, and I didn't pull my knife to defend myself. I lost a tooth.
I also told my Sifu about how a friend of mine was getting chased by two gang members by his house, and how my friend just threw his knife in the bushes while they were chasing him. He was blown away in my cases.

He said "why not defend yourself"
My response "I don't wanna kill anyone, and my friend is the same way. He's really non-violent"

Haha. He said you don't have to kill someone when you use a knife properly. I guess maybe he's right. I just don't wanna be an easy target for incredibly dangerous fools.

Why can't we all just get along? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

BTW, if you live in LA and are looking for a really professional, skilled private instructor who charges a reasonable rate Sifu Jeff Scharlin is my dude. I'm very happy with the progress I made with him so far.

I'm just disappointed in myself for not getting better quick enough. ::sigh::

Old 12-17-2006, 02:01 PM

I didn't look too much into it, but I cannot endorse any school where bjj and muy thai each are taught only 1 day per week. Training something at least 3 times a week is 1000 times better than once a week.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't look too much into it, but I cannot endorse any school where bjj and muy thai each are taught only 1 day per week. Training something at least 3 times a week is 1000 times better than once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

As far as schools, there are several really good ones in the LA area. i know that the Gracie's gym is there and Bas Rutten's gym is there too. They may cost you money, but its worth saving up and getting great instruction
Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 PM

PM if you want to know about the place I go...

$150 a month unlimited access.

I take 3 No-Gi classes per week of BJJ, 2 Gi classes, and If I wanted I could take 1.5 hours a night of Muy-tai at no additional charge.

The owner/operator/ instructor is an ex UFC belt holder... and his 3 other instructors are top notch (one of them has a bit of a language barrier... but he managaes).
Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The owner/operator/ instructor is an ex UFC belt holder

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is it?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PM if you want to know about the place I go...

$150 a month unlimited access.

I take 3 No-Gi classes per week of BJJ, 2 Gi classes, and If I wanted I could take 1.5 hours a night of Muy-tai at no additional charge.

The owner/operator/ instructor is an ex UFC belt holder... and his 3 other instructors are top notch (one of them has a bit of a language barrier... but he managaes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Location?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 AM

At my school you they have classes in BBJ and Muay Thai anyday you want 6 days a week. The times are good too.

Check out www.evolveacademy.com That is where I go in Maryland.

From your description it sounds like you are getting way to much one on one training for a beginner. I don't understand why you would only have a single training partner too. You should really look into something different I think; preferably BJJ/Thai Boxing.