Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: AQ bubble

[ QUOTE ]

I think raising an amount other than all in isn't terrible. I'd prefer a smaller one (like 1200), but it has its pros too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're trying to induce a raise (which you're really not strong enough with AQ for that to be a good idea,) I'm not so big on the lower amount. With the exception of BB the only action you'll get is a shove, which you'll have to call. If BB pushes over you, you may be able to get away from it, but it's cost you a decent chunk of your stack.

Basically I think the only thing different between you shoving and you betting it small is the small bet can bleed your chips away. You gain nothing from it.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 AM

Well obviously you're calling a shorty shove. The point of the raising less than all-in is to get away from disaster if BB really likes his hand, and it'll leave you still with more chips than the other two.

All of this doesn't mean I don't prefer pushing though. I just don't think raising to 1200 and folding to a BB push is an awful play.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 AM

I had just over 11 BB's here. Doesn't a push seem like an overpush? What if I had 5500, would you guys push this? Just trying to understand...

Thanks!
Kinger
Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had just over 11 BB's here. Doesn't a push seem like an overpush? What if I had 5500, would you guys push this? Just trying to understand...

Thanks!
Kinger

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had 5500, raising to 1200 would be a much better play. Pushing a hand like AQ/AJ with ~11BB isn't much of an overpush. You are still increasing your stack by a decent amount here if they fold.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:13 AM

I don't think there's any reason to push here preflop, though I that certainly wouldn't be bad. People just don't come over the top for [censored] very often in $10 sngos. The bb is not going to shove a wide range over the top of a standard raise. I like a raise to 1000-1200, and ya you have to put it in on this flop.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 AM

I think I like a min-raise (t800) here. My first thought here is to put pressure on the short stack while not losing too much if I face a BB re-raise, which a min-raise does. If the SB calls here, then he's basically all-in with his 1BB left, but if he folds and you're facing a BB push, you still have the two shorter stacks covered with your t3800.

I can see how a push here might be best as you'd most likely get the blinds or have the best of it to a BB call, but why risk it so close to the bubble? Can the risk of getting bubbled out be even possibly close to the worth of doubling up/taking down the blinds? I'd actually like to see it the numbers, but if I had to guess I'd say not in the long run.

imo min-raise > push > call > fold
Old 12-17-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
imo min-raise > push > call > fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything less than a push is very exploitable here. BB, if he's got a clue, should realize that he's got a ton of FE. You aren't calling an AI by him with anything less than QQ+. If I were BB, I'd push over you with pretty close to ATC. So you either need to push, or raise enough to show that BB has zero FE. Let me know how you'll do the latter without doing the former.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 AM

Default Re: AQ bubble - $10 buy in

guys,

theoretically yes, a tight big stack will not call you without a monster here, but the equity you gain from shoving and just picking up the blinds (probably the result the majority of the time) is well worth it. folding IS weak/tight, i just meant that i dont think folding is any worse than raising non-all in.

conclusion: shoving is standard and i dont find the hand to be terribly complicated or interesting. switch around some stacks and what not, then a different scenario may arise, but as posted, its a standard shove.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 AM

I see, so basically a min-raise is like tossing FE and probably an extra 1.5BB at the BB. Thinking about it now, any hand that the short-stack is likely to complete with he's most likely going to go all-in with anyway with the blinds that high. A push seems like the most logical choice now given all that.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see, so basically a min-raise is like tossing FE and probably an extra 1.5BB at the BB. Thinking about it now, any hand that the short-stack is likely to complete with he's most likely going to go all-in with anyway with the blinds that high. A push seems like the most logical choice now given all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i were you id start getting very familiar with sngpt and pushing given different stack sizes and blinds. situations will always change with reads on players (calling and pushing ranges specifically), but this hand is one of the more standard ones, and you will be faced with many tougher decisions with more awkward stacks/reads/blinds.