Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: New Poker Strategy Questions For Me Thread

I wasn't sure if this was poker strategy or general gambling, but I'll just post it here.

I'm quite sure I saw you play in one of the Poker Superstars tournaments a while ago (as I recall Kathy Liebert was being very loud and everyone was getting annoyed with her).
Anyway, my question is why did you play in it? From what I saw the game was mostly going all-in and calling all-ins pre-flop. I imagine all of your opponents will be masters of this. Where did you think your edge came from? Maybe some of the players didn't adjust to the point-system format of the tournament correctly?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:26 AM

What is more important/crucial:
A) Philosophy
B) Formula
Old 12-15-2006, 06:29 AM

The game is limit hold em. Is there any hand vs a certain lineup of opponents where playing a four-way pot is preferable to creating a three-way pot or a five-way pot pre-flop?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 AM

MTT. Blinds 5000/10,000. You're on the BB with A7s, stack of 140,000. Folded to Villain in MP who has been playing Tight shoves his 100,000. Action then folded to you. Easy fold? How about with A10s?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Pocket 8s 200-400 at Commerce

There's a thread on the hi-stakes limit forum in which three players I respect, Schneids, skp, and mike l., have three diferent opinions about what to do on the turn. Here's the lead post:

3-handed

I raise with 88. The sb who's absolutely torturing 3rd guy (and he's helping him by tilting off his $$), 3-bets, and the 3rd guy in BB caps. I call, sb calls.

Flop is 965r. sb bets, BB raises, I 3-bet, sb caps, BB calls, I call.

Turn is a 3. sb bets, BB raises. I?...

A little more on sb... A few hands previously, he 3 bet me out of the sb with J8o. He plays fairly well after the flop. He's definitely been maxing out all his hands against 3rd guy who's been spewing for almost 2 solid hours. He's owned me on some hands as well (suck outs). Point being is he's been almost invincible up to this point.

[end post]

Curious what you would do on the turn here, given the information provided.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Do you find that mathmatically trying to quantify subjective decisions in poker is evidence of a grasping for a natural instinct or talent that is lacking?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Do agree that most people choose not to chop in tournaments because they do not think of the situation correctly?

Heads up at the end of a tournament and the stack sizes are near even. Prize monies are 2 and 6 million respectively. Seems most people will play for the win here. However, if you ask the same person to play a heads-up 2 million dollar freeze out they would say no. Which is essentially what they are doing in the tournament situation from a monetary standpoint.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:35 PM

David,
Nice run in the 5 diamond classic.

The bloggers recounted your bustout hand as follows. I assume that Song raised and you pushed over the top (or vice versa) and it seems like it was pretty automatic. Do you care to share the actual details of the hand and any reads that you had or if you believe that the hand pretty much just played itself:

David Sklansky moved all in for less than 100k and Steve Sung called. The players showed:

Steve Sung 8c8h
David Sklansky AsKc

The board came 9c7c3d5h9d and there was no help for Sklanksy who was eliminated in 56th place with $25,370.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTT. Blinds 5000/10,000. You're on the BB with A7s, stack of 140,000. Folded to Villain in MP who has been playing Tight shoves his 100,000. Action then folded to you. Easy fold? How about with A10s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take this one David [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is a really easy fold.

The villain is tight and made his move from MP. Although his play was an overbet it is hard to imagine that you are not drawing to only 3 outs either because he has a midpair or a better ace.

ATs/AJs/AQs are also a fold. AK is close and a call depends on many factors
Old 12-17-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up at the end of a tournament and the stack sizes are near even. Prize monies are 2 and 6 million respectively. Seems most people will play for the win here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this at all. I think most people would want to chop here.