Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Div II CFB Championship

the CFB football playoff that doesn't work and never crowns a good champion is on ESPN2 right now. #1 Grand Valley State vs my alma mater #2 Northwest Missouri State. 10-7 GVST at the half with my bearcats thowing 3 picks in the first half (wtf!).

Tune in people, this is good football!
Old 12-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Div II CFB Championship

so i get to Northwest as a freshman in 1994 at the same time as first year coach Mel Tjeerdsma. Mel doesn't like the attitude of the players and boots (literally) half the team off the squad, keeping mostly freshmen and sophmores. The team goes 0-11. It's never good when at track practice, 2 of the guys that play football actually deny being on that team. Two years later they're 11-2, 2 years after that they win the first of two consecutive national championships. Despite the 0-11 first year Mel has run his record at Northwest to a gaudy 132-35. After squeeking into the playoffs last year and going crazy before getting beat by Grand Valley State in the final, they're back again this year looking for payback.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:36 PM

It's impossible to spell coach Tjeerdsma's name (pronounced Church-mah), but goddamn can he coach. I still can't figure out why a Div 1 college (or even pro club) hasn't picked him up to rebuild their program. This year, like most coaches of good schools, he was upset about the new clock rules that shorten the game (and increase variance). Instead of just complaining about it, he starts running a lot of no-huddle on offense. Their plays per game actually goes up... problem solved.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:27 PM

Grand Valley wins for the 2nd year in a row, 17-14. 3rd Nat. Championship for their quarterback (wtf can that be right?) who looked awesome. Northwest really killed themselves in the first half with 3 interceptions, all 3 in Grand Valley territory. gg, hopefully we do it again next year
Old 12-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Yeah those turnovers really killed them in the first half. Get some points there and they win. I enjoy watching the lower division playoffs though.
Here is the cliff notes of Gv St's offense. Line up, recievers run deep, QB throws deep, either it is caught for a big gain or 3-out after 3 bombs. Is it just me or is that pretty much there offense.