Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 PM

Default What Is Wrong With My New PC??

About a week ago I bought this Gateway GT5056B PC..

It was running fine, up until yesterday when it mysteriously turned itself off. It just completely shut down out of nowhere. When I turn it on the fan usually starts up real loud, and then after a few seconds goes quiet and the PC starts. But after the crash, turning on the PC resulted in the fan coming on and staying on "loud mode" (whatever) and the PC not starting up. The fan just runs and runs. The blue "on" light is lit, the lights on the DVD-ROMs light up but Windows doesn't start. No power appears to go to the keyboard, the monitor doesn't know anything's happening either. There is also a little solid orange light on the front of the PC which lights up. This light is not on when it is running normal.

So I hold in the power button and the PC turns off. I start it again and the same thing happens. I turn it off, disconnect the whole thing at the wall, wait a few minutes, reconnect, and press the power button. Now the PC tries to start up and just dies almost immediately. Press it again and maybe the same happens or maybe nothing happens. THEN (finally [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) press it again and hopefully it starts up and the PC works no problem.

So great, it works, I keep on using it, shut it down, turn it back on, all normal. Until today when the same thing happens. And this time it took a bloody lot of rebooting before it would work.

So obv something is wrong, and I will call the helpline tomorrow, but for now does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? The Gateway website is not at all helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: What Is Wrong With My New PC??

Best case, you can flash the bios and it will fix it. Worst case, something's up with your motherboard that's hardware related, possibly heat failure of the intergrated graphics chipset by your description.

I spent a little time with the byzantine gateway support site trying to find the bios update, but apparently you have to fight a cheata or something, so I'll leave it to their support to know what motherboard is in the thing as it's apparently too top secret to list in any specs anywhere.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Re: What Is Wrong With My New PC??

Thanks for your reply, I am getting it replaced at the store today.