Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Re: One of the \"best players on the internet\" makes this play?

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a better play be for him to lead the flop and fold when my raise tells him he's beat?

[/ QUOTE ]If you are behind, this line makes the hand less profitable for him. If you are ahead then he probably loses less this way, but he is taking the high variance approach, typical of an agressive player.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a better play be for him to lead the flop and fold when my raise tells him he's beat?

[/ QUOTE ]If you are behind, this line makes the hand less profitable for him. If you are ahead then he probably loses less this way, but he is taking the high variance approach, typical of an agressive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading into the flop and folding to a raise is bad for BA. He got the flop he wants and he isn't folding. He assumes OP probably 4-bets AA, KK, or AK preflop.

OP could push at the lead into the raiser on a bluff or with an underpair or something. Also, he is not likely to be beat here, just behind. For example, in this case he won the hand.

Once he leads into the raiser, he has odds to call a push against OP's range, so that line is very bad.

The checkraise allin is best. He may get a call if OP is behind, as OP will be kind of pot committed and suspicious of a draw or bluff. If OP folds, then BA wins a fairly large pot, and OP has no chance to draw out.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to see the light I think. The real question is what range does Below put me on to make his check/push a +EV move. I wish I'd posted the hand from Below's point of view without results now.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM

I have not read the other resoponses but your description could set this up. Maybe he thought you were tight and would fold to a reraise. If you repopped pre he prob would have folded but then you bet into pot maybe he put you on something like QQ or JJ and he thought his K was good.

I bet if you repopped pre he went away
Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 PM

I hate making this move preflop. Hate it. That said if I made this move my default play on the flop would be to checkraise all-in just like he did. I want pairs lower than kings or something like AQ to take a stab at this pot and put money in the pot instead of making the correct play and fold to my flop bet.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 AM

I have called a check shove from both Annette_15 and FlyingSumo, in the first one I had J9o and the flop was 987 or something, Annette had 55 (she was short though) and FlyingSumo check shoved me in the 8 rebuy on stars once with 88 on all overcards, giving me about 2 to 1. I called with AA and he caught an 8 :P

Anyway, i thought they were both weird plays but i guess they are part of some strategy and are +EV in some way, either by themselves or as part of an aggressive strategy... They have to know something I don't. It's probably a move that will induce a lot of folds in big pots, as well as a way to get some more chips from a good hand, no matter what villain does after you do it...
Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM

Kevin obv knows the stars rng favors five outers.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM

his play probably isn't great, but it's decent. and depending on table factors it could be good.

TallPaul, stop whining, you are just wrong.