Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: just google it you fool

one problem with the just look it up syndrome is that you go that route first instead of thinking. this leads to the loss of thinking and the repetitve answer of what was found on the web. it also makes everyone equal in knowledge if that is what knowledge is.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Ray,

I agree. My kids are allowed to use calculators in their mathematics classes. The exceptionally smart ones will understand the concepts behind the button pushing while everyone else will learn how to push the proper sequence of buttons.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ray,

I agree. My kids are allowed to use calculators in their mathematics classes. The exceptionally smart ones will understand the concepts behind the button pushing while everyone else will learn how to push the proper sequence of buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were never really even taught the concepts.

"What's a cosine?" "It's this button here."
Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one problem with the just look it up syndrome is that you go that route first instead of thinking. this leads to the loss of thinking and the repetitve answer of what was found on the web. it also makes everyone equal in knowledge if that is what knowledge is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your disputing efficiency. Also, it helps when trying to figure a problem out to have multiple sources. Google, multiple websites, dictionary, encyclopedia, thesaurus.. ect. Then you have even more information upon which to base a rational opinion.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Another point is that with things like wikipedia, people are being encouraged to take their knowledge and put it out there for public consumption.

There's basically a google supply-side that is developing intellect and learning for another set of folks that probably think more like you do.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's basically a google supply-side that is developing intellect and learning for another set of folks that probably think more like you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this... but it sounds kind of interesting so I'd like to hear more...

[ QUOTE ]
Ray,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think fundamentally, what you're describing is different from what "just googling it" gives you.

-Al
Old 12-14-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
plus just because it is on the web does not mean it is accurate or explained to the fullest, or the small points mentioned. and if its not there people think it hasnt happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why there's wikipedia.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 PM

she, you fall into the trap. all the things you listed just give you the answers. its like cheating on a test at school. all you accomplished is getting the answer right.
yes it is more efficient and you can be replaced by a machine or robot.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with looking up who won the pga in 1980 or something, but to immediately go there for most any small problem cant be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I immediately thought Larry Nelson. Thank God for Google.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 PM

This kind of thing makes deep learning of a subject harder than before. People are much less likely to read original sources on something and really think about it and come to their own conclusions. Instead we tend to read summaries and excerpts chosen by someone else in line with that person's goals, beliefs, and prejudices. It's very easy to think you have a pretty good idea of a subject without really knowing anything about it.

Thats the selling point, how easy it is.