Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: OOT Computer Nerds: Need help taking my computer apart ASAP! *$$$$

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those of us playing along at home can you please explain what exactly Dell did to make you hate them? Should they have been clearer that taking one of their computers apart and trying to reassemble it in a different case might be a risky plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I assumed (dumb move) that it would work in any case like most PCs. It is all very funny as I am on the verge of giving them more money to get a PC which this time I am aware of won't work with anything else, but the fact it is slim makes me want it.

The lesson is don't open your [censored] Dell computer and try to take it apart. I don't care about the money much and I'm getting a new system so whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, I've installed a second hard drive, 1gb of ram, a QAM (cable) tuner card, and an OTA HDTV tuner card in my Dell.

sorry, but I think the lesson is not take apart complicated electronics until you have a plan for re-assembling them.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Not at all. I agree 100%. I guess I just thought it goes without saying.

Thats why I like Dell. If I want a system for my mom or sister, I'll get them a Dell. For me, I'll pay the premium because the ability to reconfigure things and my ability to do so make it a better alternative for me.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM

[censored] it, I'm getting a Dell. I hate my impatience and laziness. I'm going to keep the hard drive and memory and dump the rest. I may drop it off the top of my building for good measure.

I've now got the same system I mentioned above but with a dual core AMD for the same price. Dell is really weird with their customizable pricing system. I'll try to add the other gig of memory I have now into the system once I get it. I guess I'll be buying some sort of getup to use my hard drive as an external one since that seems like the best use of it right now.

Most importantly, the case is going to be slim which means I won't have these problems in the future. It does mean I can't use a 2nd internal hard drive, but that's a tradeoff I'll take.

The system doesn't have a wireless card and it appears like ot uses some sort of slim card slot so I'm not sure if I can find something to work here. Any suggestions? Or maybe it is normal sized and I'm just buying too much into the slimness of the case?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:07 PM

depending on the case form factor, you may need smaller cards to fit into the slots on the mobo
Old 12-14-2006, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
depending on the case form factor, you may need smaller cards to fit into the slots on the mobo

[/ QUOTE ]

Just asked and they said it was standard. We all know how smart support is though. We'll see once I get it.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM

If you had just followed the advice I gave about six hours ago you wouldn't have a bunch of loose computer parts all over the house right now. Sucka!

By the way, what town have you been living in while in Sweden?

Swede
Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The system doesn't have a wireless card and it appears like ot uses some sort of slim card slot so I'm not sure if I can find something to work here. Any suggestions? Or maybe it is normal sized and I'm just buying too much into the slimness of the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell USB wireless cards, that will work for you.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM

Buy a new computer with the hundreds of dollars of prop bets you Grimstarred everyone with.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a new computer with the hundreds of dollars of prop bets you Grimstarred everyone with.

[/ QUOTE ]