Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: OOT Computer Nerds: Need help taking my computer apart ASAP! *$$$$

I'm of the opinion Dell is retarded (duh). I know got the exact same system by starting with a better base system and taking [censored] off, and got it for $550. This is fun/stupid.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM

I do this for a living as well and I agree completely with Mr.Moo.

The only things you should take with you are the hard drive and video card. When you arrive, buy a NEW computer and install your video card into it. Take your old hard drive and either make that the second hard drive or purchase a case that allows you to turn internal hard drives into external USB drives.

As for Windows XP, most computers come with it already as part of the price. If you buy from a big distributor (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. you will HAVE to purchase it with the OS). If you get it from a smaller shop, they may be able to sell you the hd without the OS installed. As long as you have your XP CD and installation key (yes, you will need both), you can install it on your new hard drive.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Ok. So programs and data aren't important. The data that is important you can bring with you via your external drive. Good.

So you just need dual monitor support now? Is that the main drive to doing this? Where are you going to find two monitors in Stockholm and SoCal?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:12 PM

I have two Dell (god I hate this company) monitors already. Seems the Dell (BASTARD) computer I am lookingg at getting should be able to handle it if I upgrade the graphics card to one that looks remarkably similar to the one I already own, except the computer I now want to slimmer than the one I own now, this is good.

So now I basically think I should have just kept my damn computer in tact, sold it here, and bought a new one back in the USA. Except I didn't do any of that and now am pretty [censored].

Will someone please tell me a good, cheap computer manufacturer so I don't give this bastard company any more money.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 PM

For those of us playing along at home can you please explain what exactly Dell did to make you hate them? Should they have been clearer that taking one of their computers apart and trying to reassemble it in a different case might be a risky plan?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of us playing along at home can you please explain what exactly Dell did to make you hate them? Should they have been clearer that taking one of their computers apart and trying to reassemble it in a different case might be a risky plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I assumed (dumb move) that it would work in any case like most PCs. It is all very funny as I am on the verge of giving them more money to get a PC which this time I am aware of won't work with anything else, but the fact it is slim makes me want it.

The lesson is don't open your [censored] Dell computer and try to take it apart. I don't care about the money much and I'm getting a new system so whatever.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I assumed (dumb move) that it would work in any case like most PCs. It is all very funny as I am on the verge of giving them more money to get a PC which this time I am aware of won't work with anything else, but the fact it is slim makes me want it.

The lesson is don't open your [censored] Dell computer and try to take it apart. I don't care about the money much and I'm getting a new system so whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just talked to a friend of mine living in Sweden. Apparently the issue of getting large packages shipped is a pretty big problem from small towns like yours. He says there are pick up courier services that exist just for this purpose. You can take care of the whole thing; getting packaging and getting it shipped to the US. It's kind of pricey though, $~1,500. Can you afford that?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate Dell. They're a great computer manufacturer in my opinion. But one thing I dislike and many others do too is that they make their parts proprietary. I'll give motherboards as a good example. Most motherboards are designed to a certain standard. For example the ATX standard. Dell, and other manufacturers, usually don't use on of the standards and instead use thier own. Consequently, if my Dell motherboard went bad, I can't go buy a replacement at CompUSA. Or if I wanted to upgrade my system, I can reuse the motherboard in a new case I bought at BestBuy or wherever.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM

I hate to point out the elephant in the room, but I feel like you guys are ignoring that this is part of the way Dell keeps costs down. If you want more versatility then go out and pay for it.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 PM

Now I'm finally starting to get it. So you're never coming back to where you are now right? If so, take the processor, memory, harddrive and video card and dump the rest. That stuff can be reused on a new system.

As for the new system, I'd still probably recommend buying a Dell. You're unlikely to be a position where it's hard to ship again. If you're absolutely against that, I'd recommend buying the parts yourself at a place like NewEgg and building the system yourself. Just make sure you get a motherboard that supports the video card you have (could be AGP, PCI-E, etc), the processor you have, and the memory you have. If your Dell is over a year or two old, that might be somewhat difficult. That would save you money. If you don't care about money, just buy a new system and dump everything but the harddrive with your data. Depends on how much you value your time and how much your willing to mess around with computers.