Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: OOT Computer Nerds: Need help taking my computer apart ASAP! *$$$$

Okay we are going to plan 2. Upgrade my damn system.

What is the best place to buy a custom rig? Anyone saying Dell will be shot on site... this is ridiculous.

Items I'd like to salvage if possible... DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, 2x512 MB DDR 533, 250gig SATA II HD, graphics card. Most importantly is the HD, which means getting the smallest drive possible for just applications and using the HD I have now as storage is the plan. If I can get a system with 1 gig already onboard and that will accept my 2x512 RAM sticks, that'd be awesome. I think the only other thing that I can use the DVD-RW, as I imagine it'd be hard to get a system without a DVD-ROM or graphics card.

So new project:

Find myself a rig that will do all of this as cheaply as possible. Must support dual monitors. [censored] I'm going to be buying XP again, huh?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all,
hahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if it wasn't me, I'd find this hilarious as well. Good job taking apart my $1000 desktop and making it worthless. [censored].
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all,
hahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if it wasn't me, I'd find this hilarious as well. Good job taking apart my $1000 desktop and making it worthless. [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes me giggle.

I suggest finding a nerd in CA and making a badass that can run 2 30"
Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all,
hahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I hate to say "I told you so" but...

[ QUOTE ]
Items I'd like to salvage if possible... DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, 2x512 MB DDR 533, 250gig SATA II HD, graphics card. Most importantly is the HD, which means getting the smallest drive possible for just applications and using the HD I have now as storage is the plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming these are standard components, you just need to find a mobo that is compatible with all of your component types. it shouldn't be too hard.

but then you have to put everything together, and hope it works, and good luck if it doesn't.

basically, unless this is something you would enjoy doing, I would just sell the parts on craiglists when you get home, collect $150 or so, and buy a new computer from Dell. When my home built PC ran into serious problems, this is what I did.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:30 AM

If you are upgrading, throw out your old memory and get sticks of 1 gb memory. In theory you could put your old memory in the mobo with a new stick, but it often causes problems and slows down the computer. Especially, on a crappy DELL mobo.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay we are going to plan 2. Upgrade my damn system.

What is the best place to buy a custom rig? Anyone saying Dell will be shot on site... this is ridiculous.

Items I'd like to salvage if possible... DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, 2x512 MB DDR 533, 250gig SATA II HD, graphics card. Most importantly is the HD, which means getting the smallest drive possible for just applications and using the HD I have now as storage is the plan. If I can get a system with 1 gig already onboard and that will accept my 2x512 RAM sticks, that'd be awesome. I think the only other thing that I can use the DVD-RW, as I imagine it'd be hard to get a system without a DVD-ROM or graphics card.

So new project:

Find myself a rig that will do all of this as cheaply as possible. Must support dual monitors. [censored] I'm going to be buying XP again, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I need a new comp too. Obv not dell, just that my current computer is really slow now, almost 4 years old i think.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:57 AM

if you're bringing the stuff with you i'd just pack most of it in your luggage. if you pad it with whatever stuff and then further pad it with your clothes, it'll be fine for sure. i'd still take the hard drive in your carryon though. they're fragile.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] I'm going to be buying XP again, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
I could make suggestions but I won't (or this is a suggestion in itself?).

[edit]Isn't this were Microsoft gets a LOT of his money from? People buying Windows over and over and over and over...[/edit]
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm sorry to say it but you are so [censored]. Mostly in part to the bad advice, or at least the lack of good advice given on this forum.

First off, I'm going to rehash some stuff although it's already been said. I don't think it's been said concisely and it one thread:

YOUR install of Windows is going to be bound to the motherboard, processor, harddrive and to a small extent, the cdrom and posssibly network card. If you change _any_ of those items in your new system, Windows will have problems. Not that they can't be fixed. But they're likely to cause frustrations and may not be something you're capable of fixing on your own.

Next item, Dell is proprietary. You can't easily switch parts between systems. The biggest issues are that their motherboards aren't "standard" and that the power supply cable may have different pin outs even if the cable is fits a new motherboard. Put all that together and you have a very difficult situation to rebuild your computer in another location. Again, not that it can't be done. It's just difficult and you'll probably run into issues you don't know how to fix.

Third, some programs may be tied to your network card. It's unlikely but still possible. When you switch computer parts some of your registered programs may not work anymore.

Another issue I haven't seen mentioned yet, static. Did you properly ground yourself when you took your computer apart? Did you pack the components in anti-static bags? If not, don't be surprised if things don't work when you put them back together.

The answer to your question is going to revolve around a couple of key issues. What exactly do you need? Do you need some critical data on your system? Do you need critical programs? Or do you just need dual monitor support and nothing more? No matter what way you do this, it's going to be somewhat expensive. Likely more than the $200 it would cost to ship.

It sounds to me like you mostly want a dual monitor setup. In that case, the only thing you really need to bring is the video card. Anything else you brought like memory, processor, CPU fan, DVD-RW would be to save you from buying it again in your next location. Keep in mind though, you'll need to reinstall windows, any programs you have like pokertracker, pokerace, and your data wouldn't be available. If you need your data, you need to migrate that to the new system. How you do that would depend on what kind of data it is.

Post more about your exact needs and requirements and I might be able to help more. I.E. Do you need certain programs or data? If so, what?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM

Looking back on my current hard drive, I'm not so sure I really need anything too terribly important off of it. There are some photos and other files I'd like, but I think all of my programs were freeware for the most part or things I can re-install like PokerTracker. Still, it'd be nice to be able to take some stuff that is on there off. I managed to keep most of my really important stuff on my external drive which was apparently a good idea.

I did ground myself first, I knew at least that much. The stuff surely isn't in a static free bag and likely I can't find one. The point of gotten to now is trying to buy a new computer... which sadly Dell is BY FAR the cheapest it seems. This is what I'm currently looking at:

My Components
AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+
Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English
Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
No Monitor
128MB ATI Radeon X1300
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

It looks like it is going to run me about $600. And I'll probably bump up the RAM to 2GB for an extra $125... though wouldn't the 2 512's I already have work? I think they are the exact same.

Edit: Oh, it's a Dimension C521 which I like because of it's small size.