Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 05:03 AM

Default river value bet against new player

dont know villian, but he has open limped already so the odds of him being good arent high.

4 handed

one fold, villian limps OTB, i raise AA in SB, bb folds, villian calls.

T6K (two diamonds, i have none)

bet, call

6 putting two hearts on board (i have ace hearts fwiw).

river is black K

how often is this a bet here? i would think busted draw more often than naked ten...but he can also have 77-99...but i would think even a open limper raises those at the mid levels. otoh, i can fold to a raise due to his apparent passiveness....dunno, just throwing this out there.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:08 AM

Default Re: river value bet against new player

Passive players call much more often than they bluff. I think this is a pretty easy bet. The king is a pretty good card if he has a T since he will think you are now less likely to have one.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 AM

Given that all flushdraws and straight draws missed I like check/calling here vs an unknown. I dont bet/fold this strong of a hand against an unknown, that play is just not in my playbook.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:48 AM

I bet this every time in a 4-handed game. I would also call a raise one time. We dont know this guy.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Default definitely bet against someone who seems passive, and probably calls too much. Against an unknown I would never fold to a raise, so bet/call. With some luck he bluff-raises in this spot.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Checking might be better because he's so likely to have a draw. Betting cannot be with the intention of folding and checkraising might be hot. I'd probably bet/call vs a perceived loose passive otherwise unknown opponent and check/call vs a known aggro one and maybe checkraise.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 AM

It seems like I've run into this situation a ton in the pst week, and most of the times I've checked I end up wishing I'd value bet instead.

[ QUOTE ]
check/call vs a known aggro one

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're dead-set on a b/f it seems like you're actually advocating a bet/call. What am I missing?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 PM

I think checking here to see if he bites and bluffs is good, if it's early in a session and you can make use of the info...i like to know if I can get a free SD OOP when my opponent whiffs his draw, or if I should be inducing bluffs.

In a vacuum I think there is more value from betting...even passive-type players would pop a K on this flop at these limits, and he didn't raise the turn on a mega-drawy board so a 6 is unlikely...I think A-hi, draw, Tx, PP are all decently likely and he's much more likely to call than bet, so I'd bet.

Surf
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like I've run into this situation a ton in the pst week, and most of the times I've checked I end up wishing I'd value bet instead.

[ QUOTE ]
check/call vs a known aggro one

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're dead-set on a b/f it seems like you're actually advocating a bet/call. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seeing a showdown here every single time if that's what you're asking. It's gotta be a pretty juicy passive game where nobody would raise top pair somewhere along the way, how can this guy have a king?? If I have to bet/call to do it, fine, I think there is a lot of value in betting and I'm never folding so yeah that's what I'd often do.

-DeathDonkey