Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 AM

Default Push every hand?

Here's the situation. Stars $1.75 18 man turbo. 3 left. Prizes are 1st: $10.80, 2nd $8.10, 3rd 5.40

Blinds are 200/400 ante 25
BB: Guy #1 (11185 in chips)
UTG: Guy #2 (990 in chips) is sitting out
SB: Hero (14825 in chips)

I won the previous two hands, one by completing a straight, and the other by them folding.

Should I abuse my bigger stack by raising each hand, no matter what I have? The guy that's sitting out has been sitting out for quite a while and I assumed that he'd be blinded out in about 5 hands or so without coming back.

I ended up pushing all in each chance I had, and he folded each time, stealing the blinds, and won the tourney on the hand that the sitting out guy was blinded out. At the final hand I started with about 60% more chips than him.

My assumption here is that my strategy here isn't a good idea against a strong opponent, but is good if I read that my opponent will fold most any hand rather than risk going out 3rd. I also think that I probably shouldn't of gone all-in each hand, but rather do a strong raise to discourage him from going in.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Push every hand?

If Guy #1 was enough of a whimp, then it is of course OK to raise every hand. And 6-2 handed, agression is generally the key to winning.

But you could just make a normal raise to t1300, because he will most likely fold to this if he folds to a push, and if he wakes up with premium hands, you'll know it and can get away, not double him up, and keep abusing him later.