Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth Anaesthetic Question

"The person training to be an anesthesiologist is the most disheartening?" You're gonna say that then cry when you get called out for it? You're gonna say "FINALLY... it took so long for the truth to come out" like the OP was in some unknown grave danger that you finally brought to light because you studied for a 3rd year pharm test? You're gonna say you were nice to another poster when you were sarcastic and condescending?

Good luck on your final. Maybe afterward you could have a beer and mellow out.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM

I am having my teeth pulled on the 20th. Merry Xmas to me!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The person training to be an anesthesiologist is the most disheartening?" You're gonna say that then cry when you get called out for it? You're gonna say "FINALLY... it took so long for the truth to come out" like the OP was in some unknown grave danger that you finally brought to light because you studied for a 3rd year pharm test? You're gonna say you were nice to another poster when you were sarcastic and condescending?

Good luck on your final. Maybe afterward you could have a beer and mellow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt realize you were the anesthesiologist in training. No wonder your so offended. Yes I said "finally sorry it took so long for the truth to get out". I also affirmed your post. However, as I also said, it did leave out information as to what marijuana has to do w/ iv sedation. I felt it was disheartening and disingenuous for you to leave this out. Sorry you cant take criticism.

I have said all I have to say...this is a stupid argument and I feel sorry for having wasted yours and my time. If anyone has any dental related questions plz feel free to pm me.

-JP

ps. I am chill. I just finished my last final. I dont have a beer because I have a meeting with the dean later.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LAUGHING GAS = PURE AWESOMENESS

i'm pretty sure that's all you need to know. all i remember is giggling hysterically as i watched my pulse drop, then trying to stop laughing, then cracking up even more when the dentist told me i could. fun stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I didnt go under, just the gas and and some novacaine, I had impacted teeth, so tehy had to get a hammer and chisel and bust everything out, I didnt feel a thing, and had some awesome Mario Bros hallucinations while I was getting them pulled. I kept cracking up, becuase I saw a picture of mario pulling my teeth out in my minds eye, it was great.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Hmmm, I had my wisdom teeth removed about 12-13 years ago. My experience was considerably different than most.

There was no IV, nitrous or shots (other than novacaine) and I was completely awake through the entire procedure. They did recommend that I bring someone to drive me home afterwards so my wife volunteered. Nowadays, I figure it was because she could not pass up such an obvious opportunity to get in the last word.

The dentist was a 50+ year old hispanic fellow, small in stature, with an extremely thick accent (about every 5th word was indistinguishable). This did not prevent him from chit chatting the entire time, which I always find amusing when they have retractors and tools down your throat. Fortunately, my wife was doing most of the talking. That is, until she started to get nauseous.

A couple of the teeth didn't require much effort. A whack or two with the hammer and chisel. My tounge would immediately, almost reflexively visit the previous crown to check out the damage, then the pieces were extracted with pliers. It was rather disconcerting to watch as a stranger looming above, swings this mallet at your face, you hear the crack and your head jerks with the impact. Initially, I thought that it would not require much of a swing, probably just a tap, like you would use to put a nail in drywall, but it seemed far more like a swing you would use to drive a tenpenny nail into a couple of 2 x 4 's.

Anyway, one tooth, was not cooperating. It was very difficult to reach and well rooted. After adjusting the chair and finally getting the implement of destruction appropriately positioned he says something, which I did not quite understand. I probably responded with an "uh huh". He then placed his knee across my arm and on top of my chest to get some more leverage. I think it was then that the assistant had to get a chair for my wife.

The wierd thing is the whole experience seemed like a coyote/road runner cartoon. Probably because my brain said "this should hurt..... No, this should Really, Really hurt!" However, it could also be simply the vicodin that I chased with a couple of Corona's when I got home.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had the IV when I got mine pulled 3-4 years ago. I remember the surgeon talking to me about football and then waking up feeling groggy and drunkish in a different room with a Sports Illustrated in my lap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same exact thing happened to me. There was also a hott girl sitting in the waiting room I was in before they called me into have the operation. My friend that drove me home said I kept asking him if they took me out the back or the front door and whether or not she saw me all drugged up.

Also in the drive through for White Castles (Shakes are good when you can't eat real food) I said something about crashing into the wall or something.

After that he took me home and made me lay down in the recliner that way I wouldn't slobber all over myself or something. I woke up many hours later with bloody/slobber soak pads in my mouth and my mouth was all full of blood. I just leaned over the armrest over the trash can and watch at least 6-8 ounces of blood drain from my mouth.

Other than that and getting the operation a few days before New Year's Eve everything was fine.

On a funny note the cable bill said I ordered three pay-per-view movies during the month and I was about to call in and complain because I knew I didn't. But I checked when the movies were ordered and aparently I woke up long enough while in the recliner to order some really bad movies.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:01 PM

they just want to know if you do drugs/drink a lot because they have to vary the amount of anesthesia they give you according to how fast you will metabolize it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im getting my wisdom teeth taken out on thursday. the nurse lady said something about smoking weed, past 30 days, and the operation. i have definitely smoked numerous times in the past 30 days. i was wondering if weed would have a negative affect given (im guessing) the anaesthetics they would use during the operation. im not sure what type of anaesthetics they would be using, but she did say there would be an iv going into my hand and there would be a shot administered to my mouth. im getting 2 teeth taken out, one on the top right the other on the bottom right.

i dont want to die.

any ideas ?

p.s. im kind of nervous about the whole thing. feel free to share any stories regarding this operation if you've undergone it in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably the first person in the entire world who had had this med with marijuana in your system. They KNOW you smoked and are using you as a guinea pig to find out what happens.

IF you live through this, please post a trip report.

tehehehehe