Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Finding a web designer?

Like the title says. I was wondering how you go about finding a worthwhile web designer.

I have the idea, the domain name, etc. But I do not have the knowledge to learn how to build it.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Finding a web designer?

http://www.getafreelancer.com/
http://www.php-freelancers.com/
http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/default.asp

There are plenty of freelance coders out there. Do you have a basic idea of the layout or a website with a similar design to what your looking for? Many of those working on the MMF project are new to web design but have been making progress and might be able to assist you as well.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 AM

I sent you a pm mntbikr, I guess I'll tell everyone else as well. I'm wanting to start a design company over the next few months, so I'm looking to build a few websites either for free or extremely cheaply to build up a portfolio.

I'm pretty good with graphics, HTML, and CSS. I can handle some database and PHP work, but I'm not an expert there.

Basically, if someone needs a website with graphics that won't take me more than a few hours, I'll do it for free. For more complicated stuff, I'll do it cheap and quote you upfront. Let me know if anyones interested.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 PM

www.namepros.com is another good site to find a designer. You can either start a contest and get a bunch of different submissions, or just try and find a designer based on their portfolio
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the links guys!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Is it normal when talking to potential developers to have them as "whats your budget".

Ive been reluctant to answer because it seems they could change their price rather easily depending on my answer.

Anyone ever gone through that?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Yes, it's normal to ask what the budget for the project is. I'd tell them a low number at first so they don't try to push you around and try to get higher after, remember you're in charge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM

I've used getafreelancer a number of times & the results have been patchy. Some points:

1. I've found that the best way to get a site developed is to specify a particular site that you would like your site to be similar to, then be very specific in the differences you would like to see incorporated into your site.

2. The price always seems to be outrageously cheap - the last site I got done ended up being over 100 pages of php for a total cost of around $300. Unfortunately, many developers seem to work on 'Indian' time which means the 10 day project took just over 3 months. That said I still think it was a real bargain.

3. If you are developing a dynamic site I highly recommend that you learn the basics of the languages involved (say, MySQL & php). This will alllow you to understand how your site works & make the tweaks that will inevitably crop up without having to go back to the original developer.

Good luck.