Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Anyone else much much better live than online?

[ QUOTE ]

It's not a pro's fault people play higher than their skill limits. Why should they be punished with only tough players?

Seems you're too hung up on the monetary amount.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that online, for most people "higher than their skill limit" is about NL25 or NL50. I play poker for fun, and part of the fun is making decisions for something that is actually meaningful to me. Play money doesn't do it, and neither do piddly ammounts. When I fight for what can become a $500-$800 pot, then that's a different thing. Not everybody plays poker to grind it out.

As for pro players, I'm not saying it's their fault, but the fact that they can play so many tables at once has the effect of drastically lowering the stakes-to-skill ratio at the tables. I'm not even sure that the pros would suffer, without ability to play multible tables higher stakes game are bound to become softer as well. Online poker is just too efficient for its own good, IMO, as it gives tools to pros to quickly overfish the pond.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 AM

I play horrible online. Well, not at sit n go's....those I can beat, but mostly because the other player are so horrible. I mean, how difficult is it to push your whole T1500 stack with KK and T20 BB and get called?

But...ok I play $10-20 to $20-40 live. Online equivalent play is roughly $2-4 or $3-6. But I get bored as hell. I watch television, do tasks around the house, etc. And I stink it up. Bad. So maybe if I could apply the same level of competativeness I have in the live games I might do ok. But really playing online I cannot concentrate that hard.

Another problem I have with online play is that there is almost a set strategy based on the play/numbers of your opponents. And I find this boring also....you have right in front of you exactly how your opponents play. There is nothing to learn, nothing to figure out once you know the strategy to utilize against that type of opponent. If you read the middle limits limit holdem section, you will see constant posts about different ways to play different hands against certain types of opponents. And I guess this is what really keeps my interest in live play....learning and figuring out how others play...and how best to play against them. I don't get that aspect in online play.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM

One of the problems I have with winning live is that every time I have a made hand, I begin nervously tapping my index finger as if I am clicking a mouse.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's not a pro's fault people play higher than their skill limits. Why should they be punished with only tough players?

Seems you're too hung up on the monetary amount.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that online, for most people "higher than their skill limit" is about NL25 or NL50. I play poker for fun, and part of the fun is making decisions for something that is actually meaningful to me. Play money doesn't do it, and neither do piddly ammounts. When I fight for what can become a $500-$800 pot, then that's a different thing. Not everybody plays poker to grind it out.

As for pro players, I'm not saying it's their fault, but the fact that they can play so many tables at once has the effect of drastically lowering the stakes-to-skill ratio at the tables. I'm not even sure that the pros would suffer, without ability to play multible tables higher stakes game are bound to become softer as well. Online poker is just too efficient for its own good, IMO, as it gives tools to pros to quickly overfish the pond.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the online, multi tabling pros were forced to play only 1 table at a time, even though their per table winrate would raise, their overall winrate would go down. If you're talking about a guy going from 4+ tables to 1, that could be significant.

But you do have a point about overfishing as that has already shown it's effect online. That's going to happen anyways, especially as you get higher. Though it does speed the process.

But nothing is stopping anyone from becoming good enough to play a pro style. Which doesn't mean one has to become a pro grinder to play that way.

b
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone find online players are not hard to beat live?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I must admit that, for some reason, the feeling from busting some sunglasses and Full Tilt jacket wearing internet monkey is much more satisfying then busting some Jim Bob George tourist. Not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i'm assuming this is who you think is a really good online player [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]