Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Default establishing a wild image

i noticed a few players at my local cardroom who frequently raise and showdown bullshyt hands, so they get paid off on their premium hands.

within the 1rst minute they'll raise w/ 62o and play it to the river, then from then on they're playing mostly AK, AQ, JJ and such.

anybody else have experience in this matter?
im thinkin i probably have to be advertising maybe once an hour.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: establishing a wild image

I'd say about 75% of people at a 1/2 game and at least 50% at a 2/5 game wouldn't be paying attention if you were a zebra, much less if you were showing down junk occasionally...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 PM

When did the OP say anything about 1-2 or 2-5 structure?

To OP - read SS2. Doyle talks about playing wide-open when he first sits down and then gradually tightening up. "You gotta give action to get action," or something like that.

edited for typo.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did the OP say anything about 1-2 or 2-5 structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "my local cardroom", and I was assuming he meant NL, as who gives 100 craps bout bluffing in limit... 1/2 and 2/5 are the most common spreads of low limit poker, no?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:14 PM

sorry to be confusing, but im actually talking about 2/4 limit
i'm pretty much purely a limit player

right now i think i got most of the fundamentals hand selection, reading the players and basic aggression down, im just trying to maximize the pay off on my good hands by manipulating my opponents psychology. as a few of the regulars view me as super tight, so they get out of my way.

say, if i bet out, they naturally assume i have at least TPGK. so i've been countering that by check raising them on the flop or the turn. im thinking about check/raise bluffin everyonce in a while, but some other idiot donk always interferes.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to be confusing, but im actually talking about 2/4 limit
i'm pretty much purely a limit player

right now i think i got most of the fundamentals hand selection, reading the players and basic aggression down, im just trying to maximize the pay off on my good hands by manipulating my opponents psychology. as a few of the regulars view me as super tight, so they get out of my way.

say, if i bet out, they naturally assume i have at least TPGK. so i've been countering that by check raising them on the flop or the turn. im thinking about check/raise bluffin everyonce in a while, but some other idiot donk always interferes.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. strategy about how opponents view you does not exist in 2/4 limit.

i think this might start to matter at the 15/30 or 20/40 level.

i recomend against doing anything like this at low limits. it is just spewing chips.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Oh, 2-4 limit...then up the original responder's figure to 95%.

You'd have to raise absolutely every time it was your action for a couple hours before they noticed. You can't create an image when nobody's paying attention.

And any regular who's figured out you're super tight will see right through your occasional foray into trash, and still not pay off your good hands. (They're the 5% who are paying attention.)
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM

the small amounts of bets you'll gain by having people call you down with trash is not worth the amount of bets you'll lose by trying to gain the image and then having people correctly call you down with trash when you try this c/r bluff

just play straight up
profit

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 PM

this is definitely an important thing to consider, but don't play hands to show down just because someone might notice you are betting lite. i play 2/5 NL when i play live, and i usually raise more preflop then the rest of the table... but that doesn't mean i'm calling or making big bets constantly when i'm weak. it means i'm raising to $20 or $25 pf and maybe making a cbet if the coast looks clear. occasionally, you'll connect junk like 53s with a 246r flop or something like that and people will start giving you a ton of action, but normally i'm just hoping someone at the table comments aloud about my play so that everyone starts playing back at me with marginal hands.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 PM

What you are talking about doesn't really come into play until the stakes become significant to the majority of the players in the game.

At lower stakes, most players are just not that concerned with the $50-$100 that they buyin for at the lowest LHE games spread in the room. Sure there might be one or two people at the table that the stakes are significant enough for them to pay attention.

Sit at a 10/25 NL no cap game where the majority of the table is sitting on $5K+ and instead of having one or two players paying attention, you will have all the players paying attention more times than not. And if there are one or two players not paying attention, that is why there are boards for people wanting to get in the game. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]