Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Default pocket kings with queens on flop

Hi. I just started playing NL cash games this week. I was mostly limit and small tournaments before. I've been reading the faq and the "essential posts." I have my first question.

Should I make this call? UTG was approximately 40/19 over 40 hands. I figured he either had a queen or high cards.

ALso, should I have raised more preflop?

Jason

Converted by PokerGeek
PokerStars NL Hold'em Ring - 0.25/0.50 Blinds (6 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 1: Small blind ($47.25)
Seat 2: Big blind ($48.10)
Seat 3: UTG ($27.50)
Seat 4: LP (Hero) ($86.70)
Seat 5: CO ($78)
Seat 6: Button ($69.65)

Preflop: Hero is LP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG raises ($2), Hero raises ($6), CO folds, Button folds, Small blind folds, Big blind folds, UTG calls ($4)

Flop: ($12.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets ($7.50), UTG all-in ($21.50)
Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 PM

Default Re: pocket kings with queens on flop

I lay it down

I can't put UTG on many hands I beat with the raise call cr shove line. It looks like 88 or aq maybe qq or aa but most people would have reraised these preflop. He could have ak or jacks but I think that is a hopefull read.

Preflop raise looks soild
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 AM

he has aces, or kings, or AQ, or he's stupid. I can definitely find a laydown here.

If you just raised and he called and then he went all-in - depending on his stack size, I probably call it.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Against a villain with those stats + hes a shortie = This is an easy call. You only have to be right 30+ percent of the time to make this call break even. Villain range is far,far wider than Qx,AA.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:49 PM

This hand immediatly reminded me of ajmargarine's continuation bet quiz. Here's his advice about this kind of hand, it might clear things up a little.

[ QUOTE ]

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

<font color="blue">No. On a paired broadway flop, you should often check behind with a KK-type hand. This will get you two streets of value from 88 and lose the least when they have the Q. So, I like a check here. They are never folding a better hand to a CB. You can delay your CB til the turn, or check it down and hope your A9 holds up agst his JT. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My addition to your problem is that I think he might be sensing weakness in the size of your bet. In my opinion it is quite small related to the size of the pot and that might be the reason he shoves it, but off course I don't know what your normal CB size is.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 PM

I definitely like the suggestion to check behind on the flop.

As played though, lay it down to his push...there isn't much he could reasonably have that you can beat.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM

I'd probably go another $1 pf.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd call here. You need to have 33% equity and I think you have that. his range is certainly not just a queen.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a villain with those stats + hes a shortie = This is an easy call. You only have to be right 30+ percent of the time to make this call break even. Villain range is far,far wider than Qx,AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think villian concludes you do not have a queen, as most queens would just check the flop heads up. I think villians range is any pair putting you on the Ak/Aj type hands. As played I would call. I prefer checking thru and betting the turn.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM

I'd check the flop....there's no real draws out there. You've got plenty of time to get his stack in on the turn/river if you have him beat.