Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 AM

Default 5/10nl misplayed(?) AA OOP against laggy opponent

(The site I'm playing at now is not-PT compatible and you can't even get text HH files or even cut and paste the HH)

Hero (SB) - $1240
Villian (BB) - $1190
Random (UTG) - $600

Preflop: UTG limps. Folded around to Hero (AdAs) in SB who raises to $45. Villian calls. UTG calls.

Flop: 3s-2s-5s ($135)

Hero bets $125. Villian calls. UTG folds.

Turn: Kd ($385)

Hero checks*. Villian checks.

River: 4d.

Hero bets $215**. Villian pushes for $1020. Hero folds.

---------

*When I'm playing well, I lead this turn against this guy. He is pretty laggy and I thought I would get a bet out of him on turn which I could call and then lead or check/call river depending on whatever. He is very capable of pushing the turn here if I lead again with a wide range of hands that I beat, but I still think leading the turn is better. Thoughts?

**I was very suprised by his turn check behind and, when the 4d came, I thought I'd try to extract some value with the river lead, which I also used as a blocking bet. As soon as I made this bet, I hated it. I hated it so, so much, I almost cried. This opponent is so, so capable of pushing missed draws and scary cards, I probably should have called the all-in. But, by far the better option would have been to check-call river. Thoughts?

(thx in advance for any comments/help/criticisms)
Old 12-13-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: 5/10nl misplayed(?) AA OOP against laggy opponent

I'm trying to put him on a hand... the only hand I can think of that he'd play this way is 66; standard call preflop, standard call on the flop, checks behind on the turn because the K hit, pushes river with 6 high straight. Another possible hand he could have is AxKs, but I think he would bet the turn with that. I really don't think he has a missed draw because you have the A of spades, so what would he be drawing to? KsXx almost always bets the turn. I think his most likely holding is 66 given the way he played it.

Also like you said, you should have bet the turn. You're almost always ahead and you're out of position (plus you have the A of spades), no need to get tricky and go for a check/call or check/raise.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 AM

have to fold after betting river.

I'd check/call.

Rest of the hand looks good.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Turn seems like an easy lead, or sometimes a check/raise, sounds like you wanted to check/call but a check/raise will often come across as you holding the naked As and get called by many worse hands.