Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: to push or make standard raise 3/4xs bb

Obviously, your short-stacked pushes will sometimes get called... and when they are, showing a solid hand really reinforces your ability to push more in the future (assuming you survive, of course).

Great example from a $10/180 I played recently. I took a beat that left me with 4 BBs, so I was pushing with any two cards if I could open from late position. I was able to push and win the blinds twice with bad hands. The next hand, I pushed with AJ and was called (we ended up chopping the pot). I was still very short stacked and well into pushbot mode, but the fact that the one hand I showed was solid seemed to resonate with the table as I was able to push *six* more times uncontested over the next few orbits. It was enough to get me ITM, though I finally busted when I openpushed in the SB into a QQ.

Obviously, they're not all going to work out as well as this one did for me, but I'm convinced that showing the AJ was instrumental in getting through later pushes.

Do I show hands like that if they're not called? Maybe.. I like what zoobird said about it being kinda useless at higher stakes. But maybe at lower.

Matt
Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Re: to push or make standard raise 3/4xs bb

thanks Matt good response and reasoning to back it up. Hope this will help me find more FTs