Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Ask me about going into people\'s homes to sell them knives.

[ QUOTE ]
If the first summer you made 5000, averaging 220 a sale, then you must have made a sale like every 1/4 day? That must have been incredibly discouraging. Second question, is this company affiliated with vector? Two of my brothers and a few other friends got recruited by them but quit before training ended. It sounded very sketchy and hard to make money.

I've sold the paper door to door and it sucks. It sucks balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was very lazy for the first two months of that first summer and got discouraged and didn't work much at all. There would be 3 or 4 days in a row where I didn't attempt to do anything to generate business.

Cutco and Vector are the same thing. If your brothers and friends quit it is hard to say if their managers did not do a good and honest job of presenting the job and company or if your crew was just too scared to take a shot.

The job is not sketchy. If you work hard (conduct at least two sales appointments per day and get each of those prospective buyers to give you referrals and then schedule appts. with those referrals) you get financially rewarded very well.

It starts by showing the product to adults you already know--your parents' friends, your friends' parents, neighbors, extended family members, your parents, etc. Then you collect referrals from each of those people (the names and numbers of their friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc.) and your business grows exponentially from there.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God Vector sucks.

They will suck the soul out of you, and stalk you.

The worst part of that job was the manipulation, and taking advantage of people's inability to say no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back, running my own office sucked horribly and that summer was probably the worst of my life.

The first two summers I didn't have to deal with the pressures of running the office, all I had to do was sell on my own, I was getting paid very well to do it and I made a bunch of good friends along the way.

Customers rarely said no. There is no manipulation of the customer, but I will concede that the managers do manipulate their sales reps.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should Juan Primo give up his number?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally believed in CUTCO cutlery. We used to say it is the Rolls Royce of cutlery and that is spot on. Anybody who has ever used them will tell you the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe this?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 PM

What were some common sales techniques, especially those involving customers who were on the fence?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Customers rarely said no. There is no manipulation of the customer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Take a look at this real quick.

There were many, many times when I was working for them that I felt like a complete ass for regurgitating their script. Like "Ms Jones, have I made you uncomfortable at all? Didn't you have a good time? Don't you want your friends to have a good time too? Now gimme 10 people to call..."

People don't like saying "no" to nice people (such as your neighborhood Vector rep) but they DO feel uncomfortable coming up with excuses as to WHY they simply CAN'T afford a friggen $1600 knife set when they actually expected to help out some "poor" college kid train for his new job.

This damn company trains you to suck every last dime you can possibly get out of people.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What were some common sales techniques, especially those involving customers who were on the fence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically you explain why their knives suck and will cost them more money in the end than buying Cutco. That, and the more you buy, the more "free stuff" they get.

They have a structure where if they don't want to buy huge set A, there's smaller set B:, etc etc. down to individual knives.

Most people don't say no because they pity you for coming to their house and putting up this big presentation. They feel like they're being a jerk if this kid doesn't get any commission so in most cases they wind up buying something in order to prevent feeling bad for the rep.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM

Cutco knives are amazing. That is my input to this thread.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why they are the Rolls Royce of knives? What is so good about them that ppl will spend like 2k on a set of knives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Features & Benefits

Forever Guarantee
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I totally believed in CUTCO cutlery. We used to say it is the Rolls Royce of cutlery and that is spot on. Anybody who has ever used them will tell you the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.