Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Extracting Max Value With Monster Hands as a Big Stack late in MTT

I was wondering if people could offer me some feedback as to how I can extract the maximum from my opponents late in an MTT when I have a big stack and a monster hand. For example, the hand below:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t4650)
BB (t2805)
UTG (t5300)
UTG+1 (t10126)
MP1 (t7690)
MP2 (t4805)
Hero (t10254)
CO (t3768)
Button (t11356)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1400) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t800</font>

From this point forward, what would be the most profitable way to play the hand?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Extracting Max Value With Monster Hands as a Big Stack late in MTT

I would have to raise him pretty big because he looks like he's on a semi-bluff...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Re-raise to 2400 and hope he got a piece of that flop so he comes along with you. Otherwise chase out the flush draw that might beat you. It would be an easier answer with a read on the opponent.

For the record I don't like the flat call pre-flop.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 PM

That 800 bet on the flop could easily just be a standard c-bet.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM

Had almost no read on the opponent as he was new to the table, but seemed relatively straightforward. Call pre-flop was just a way of mixing up play pre-flop and disguising strength in this instance.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Hero makes it 2200-3000, and stands up chanting PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 PM

Result: In this case Hero raised to 2000 and opponent folded.

I posted this hand in the context of asking generally what people do in this situation. As a big stack I like to pound on the smaller stacks to accumulate even more chips, but when I actually make a big hand slow-playing is transparent, so I often find it difficult to play them for maximum value. Are there strategies that people use in this situation or is it reduced to simply hoping that smaller stacks have also made a hand or have just decided that this is the moment for them to take a stand?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 PM

What stakes are you playing? If against decent opposition, the flat call is fine pre-flop, stacks are awkward for a reraise. Beyond that, it depends on your image and how you've played previous hands. In isolation, it's hard to get paid with top set on a dry board like this, which argues for slowplaying, but there also aren't a lot of cards that could make Villain a second best hand. I wouldn't worry too much about the flush draw, and just call the flop. Raising here is very very strong, calling represents a much wider range that probably includes some medium pairs. You at least give Villain a chance to fire a second barrel with AQ or decide his QQ is good or something like that. Bottom line, you won't get paid often no matter what you do.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What stakes are you playing? If against decent opposition, the flat call is fine pre-flop, stacks are awkward for a reraise. Beyond that, it depends on your image and how you've played previous hands. In isolation, it's hard to get paid with top set on a dry board like this, which argues for slowplaying, but there also aren't a lot of cards that could make Villain a second best hand. I wouldn't worry too much about the flush draw, and just call the flop. Raising here is very very strong, calling represents a much wider range that probably includes some medium pairs. You at least give Villain a chance to fire a second barrel with AQ or decide his QQ is good or something like that. Bottom line, you won't get paid often no matter what you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally that is what I figured. Tourney is $100.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM

unless your table was squeeze happy RR PF.