Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much scrilla should Sensei take to AC?
$2000 3 9.68%
$3000 9 29.03%
$4000 6 19.35%
$5000 8 25.81%
More than $5000 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Refusing to remove hoodie during national anthem . (news link)

Havn't read most of the thread yet, but I have no problem with someone having a hat on during the anthem. Telling me I don't have the right to wear a hat is insane.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh-oh say can you see,
by the dawn's early light,
what so proudly we hailed,
at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
through the perilous fight,
or the ramparts we watched,
were so gallantly streaming.

And the rocket's red glare,
the bombs bursting in air,
gave proof through the night,
that our flag was still there.

Oh-oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free ,
and the home of the brave?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a veteran,I would smack that [censored] hoodie off his head hard enough to loosen the fillings of his freakin'teeth.

sigh

OK,I feel better now.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Is their a clause when you sign up for the military that says you must defend the national anthem also?

I usually stand up for the national anthem when I go to ball games, but I don't care if others don't. I don't care if others wear a hat, hoodie, sunglasses, etc... I don't think not standing for the national anthem makes a person any less American than say a military guy. Im so sick of hearing about 'patriotism' and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any thinking person has some grievance with the government. I'm of the view that the good outweighs the bad, and the USofA is a great f'in country to live in.

So to me it's a sign of respect and common courtesy, and awareness of how good we have it here.

If someone refuses to take off their hood / hat whatever during national anthem, I tend to think they are just ungrateful / possibly stupid. And also they should move to another country for a while to get some perspective.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]Bingo!We have a winner!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh-oh say can you see,
by the dawn's early light,
what so proudly we hailed,
at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
through the perilous fight,
or the ramparts we watched,
were so gallantly streaming.

And the rocket's red glare,
the bombs bursting in air,
gave proof through the night,
that our flag was still there.

Oh-oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free ,
and the home of the brave?

[/ QUOTE ]

While digesting Reader's Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag, with gum on the back,
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I'd tell her how good I feel.

But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

Well, I went to the bank this morning
And the cashier he said to me,
"If you join the Christmas club
We'll give you ten of them flags for free."
Well, I didn't mess around a bit
I took him up on what he said.
And I stuck them stickers all over my car
And one on my wife's forehead.

Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn't see.
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree.
By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead.
And I'll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said...

"But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
We're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more."
Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM

All you guys singing about 'veterans,'

Whatever. As someone who enjoys all kinds of contact sports, various martial arts, etc., who has been hitting and getting hit his entire life, I would say that there's nothing particularly honorable about fighting, less so about going to war, still less so about going to war in the 20th and 21st centuries. To be a wartime soldier in the army of the United States now means, and has meant for some time, taking many, many innocent lives as part of a day's work, in the pursuit of a poorly-chosen political end or another. Great. I think we can pick more worthy classes of people to deify.

I do stand for the National Anthem. I wish we still sung it together. I try to think about what I love about this country - the bright side of its history, its stated ideals, its great physical beauty, its prosperity and innovation, its variety of peoples and creeds.

it doesn't matter if you think it's disrespectful to not take your hat off. the point is that you can't possibly justify it being illegal or punishable in any way.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The kid is 17, he doesnt have the full rights of a US citizen, I think people are making this a much bigger issue than it is. kids get away with so much [censored], compared to past generations, now Im not saying that everythign our parents/grandparents did was perfect, but this is a respect issue. Yes, of course the kid has a right to disrespect the national anthem, and do what he wants during it, but he also has to deal with teh consequences from school officials/people hired be the school, if he decides to exercise his rights. I can exercise my right to not pay my electric bill all I want, but there will be consequences for it. He wasnt taken to jail, his freedom wasnt taken away, other than to not be able to watch a game at school. If you dont follow what the authority figures at a school tell you to do, there are punishments for it, in this case he was kicked outta the gym. People who are making this out to be some kind of huge constitutional issue are ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

His rights werent taken away? IF i grab a minor by the neck and lead him away, its called assault on a minor.. WOW

Why again is there punishment for not breaking any law or rule, whether written or implied?

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS AT A SCHOOL FUNCTION. WHAT THE [censored] IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND. This is not some public forum, the rules of the school, and the people hired by the school are what goes, not the laws of the nation. wtf is your malfunction. This isnt some huge political thing, the kid was a punk who decided he was too tough to do what the authorities of the school asked him to do, so he has to deal with teh consequences. The actual law does not matter here.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone refuses to take off their hood / hat whatever during national anthem, I tend to think they are just ungrateful / possibly stupid. And also they should move to another country for a while to get some perspective.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are they stupid? It's their right! They're most likely very respectful and endearing!

Sick em guys! lol. Agree with your post.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Jesus [censored] Christ. Nothing brings out peoples ignorance and stupidity quicker than a discussion on patriotism.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spend a day in Kosovo,or Ramadi,or hundred other shitholes and you might appreciate it a little more.There is DEFINITELY a divide between people who have served and those who have not.That is apparent.It goes back to basic values.Just because I have the right to do something doesn't always make it appropriate.Obviously,I was joking about hitting the kid,but it does burn me up.And I 'm a social liberal.Richard Dreyfuss talked about the need to reintroduce civics classes in schools on Maher the other night,and I think he has a point.Hell,maybe us vets are screwed up.I don't know.If you see kids in some of these countries living in tar paper shacks,starving ,it definitely makes you appreciate the States,even with all of our problems.That's all I am saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

People living in tar paper shacks have nothing to do with this kid..

Guess what? We arent the only country in the world, we arent the most intelligent, we dont have a patent on " right" and "wrong".

The truly sad part is all the people who BLINDLY say what the kid is doing is wrong (assuming he is even conscious of it) without looking at the logic behind it..

If I were a veteran, and risked my life for " freedom" I would be pretty damned pissed off if some wa.nker with a fake badge in a school decided it was ok for him to take away those " freedoms" I fought for.

Blind Patriotism causes a good portion of the worlds problems.. Take a look at actual logic and reasoning before waving the " freedom flag"

Im pretty sure Hezzbollah, Taliban etc.... ALL believe in their causes... JUst because you believe something, or have been told ot was true since you were young doesnt make it an absolute truth