Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Who fights and what disciplines?

I currently study pak mei kung fu, although I'm going to take some western boxing classes or muay thai in the new year. I really like pak mei, there is very regular full contact/speed sparring although I don't really take it for fighting reasons as I have no interest in competing and don't really get into fights in real life.

I did a lot of research before picking something to study and learned a whole lot about the different styles of kung fu.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 PM

I currently train in mostly BJJ with some JJJ (Japanese) and MMA mixed in. I prefer the BJJ so thats what i do most of, but there is an MMA program at my school which is excellent.

If you are interested in MMA, I suggest finding an MMA Gym. There are lots of things in BJJ and Muay Thai that are just not applicable in MMA competition. Most MMA gyms cut out the stuff that does not apply and focus on the stuff that works in competition. For one, the BJJ will focus mostly on No-Gi stuff. Most BJJ schools that I have seen offer BJJ, Muay Thai and/or MMA programs. Try to find a Straight Blast Gym in your area if one exists, they all have MMA Programs.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM

If I were to start an MMA camp now, I'd focus on Muay Thai and Catch Wrestling.

I think all Muay Thai is applicable to MMA, its the most lethal and rounded of all the competitve sport striking disciplines. MT incorporates punches, kicks, knees, and elbows, as well as clinch work.

Catch Wrestling is western style wrestling with submission work, no gi. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_wrestling, Josh Barnett is probably the top practiioner Of CW in MMA) It think its more applicable to MMA than BJJ as it incorporates clinches, slams, singles/doubles and takedown defenses, while ignoring gi based techniques.

This is basically a modified version of the Chute Boxe camp, with more wrestling. Those guys are awesome, but very vulnerable to a strong wrestler/gnp with excelent submission defense.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM

One time I punched a guy.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 PM

I think muay thai is the best stand up art and I like bjj for ground. I think these are great to start out in, and I would find a school that teaches both. Also, some bjj schools don't focus on takedowns or anything, which is not good. If you can't get a guy down, your bjj can't help you. Also, I think training with a gi is good for beginners, but for real world applications, its much better to focus on no gi stuff.

The problem is that some schools are not very good, and for a beginner it's tough to tell whether a school is any good. Plus some teachers are highly skilled, but they just suck at teaching. I would recommend that you check out multiple schools before signing up for anything.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think training with a gi is good for beginners, but for real world applications, its much better to focus on no gi stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand why most people think this. Everyone who is wearing a sweater or jacket is in effect wearing a gi. Gi work has tremendous real world application. Gi training is essential when learning BJJ, it helps with no-gi training as well, and teaches you to deal with people grabbing onto something (like your pants or a sweatshirt) while fighting. It's also good to learn no-gi fighting as its not good to be too cloth dependant.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:15 PM

Traing with a Gi is fine for self defense purposes, where you are most likely to be wearing clothes if you are in a situation where you need to apply the art. In MMA you are wearing a pair of shorts, so techniques you learned that require a gi are not going to help you.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Well, I wasn't saying to stop training gi after 6 months or something. I personally like training with a gi. But in the street fights that I have been in, nobody was wearing anything other than stretchy or easily tearing clothing. It's better to be prepared to fight no gi. I know some people that do crazy stuff with a gi, but are less than great no gi. Beleive me, I wouldn't have any issues fighting someone dumb enough to wear a nice leather jacket into the fight.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Traing with a Gi is fine for self defense purposes, where you are most likely to be wearing clothes if you are in a situation where you need to apply the art. In MMA you are wearing a pair of shorts, so techniques you learned that require a gi are not going to help you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not advocating training only Gi and forgetting about no-gi. I was simply pointing out that the statement "Gi has no real world applications" is flawed. I think that both need to be trained and both have their uses.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM

since this is a forum for all forms of fighting (including stage wrestling) I figured I would throw this out there. I do a little pro wrestling. I trained under Jimmy "Boogie Woogie Man" Valiant at his wrestling school in Shawsville, VA. Wrestling in Va kinda sucks due to the athletic commission harbouring some kind of biase against us. I mostly work in NC but I haven't had a chance to work in a couple of months. Any questions I gladly give my best answer.