Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Re: KQ suited

c/c'ing this flop with a set is pretty silly

and whatever, i guess, i just can't for the life of me see how c/c'ing this flop is better than betting and slowing down on the turn, the same way we might with a complete whiff, in terms of balancing our play.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:48 PM

mlagoo,

it gets way more value out of hands that whiffed the flop
Old 12-12-2006, 12:50 PM

any1 for c/r the flop? and folding 2 a rr?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 PM

i cant see any good reason to c/r the flop

edit: and db, i'll concede that you're probably right, but it also probably gets less value out of lesser K's and pocket pairs. all in all i guess i'm just more worried about balancing my turn play because i so often have to c/f out of position.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:01 PM

I agree with Ahnuld, except I dont mind the flop check really.

OP, I think you played the hand wonderfully.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM

1) preflop standard
2) Flop; I've began to check more flops with both missed hands/monsters/decent 1p hands. This is mostly for pot control. It also depends a lot on the villain, if I've been c-betting every hand and being active in general I'm more likely to lead. The advantage of c/c with decent hands and draws here is that villains will start to check behind more making it easier to control the pot OOP and draw. You can also c/r occasionally with draws and sets and basically mix up your play to leave your opponent completely confused. In other words I love checking this flop.

On the turn I'm merely calling, if you reraise you'll drive out most hands you beat and your pot committed (ie. if he pushes you have the odds to call) when you get raised. Depending on the river card I'll decide my river action. If I make the flush I'd probably bet, if a blank hits I'd c/c small to medium bets and fold to most larger bets. There are not a whole lot of villains that fire 3 barrels with a 1p hand you beat, so I'll be closer to folding than calling when he fires the river.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the flop c/c

and I would go ahead and c/c the turn

I'm, c/f to a big river bet unless we hit 2pair or flush

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know, but IMO the check fold on river is pretty weak tight no? Against an aggressive player we get bulled, cause we dont show any strenght in the hand. He could push us out with a hand like KJ, cause he think that we are smooth calling with a pocket or another worser hand than KQs.

Dbitel, are you auto calling a medium bet on a blank river?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel like pot control is much better exercised on the turn, where it might be more likely for us to c/f complete whiffs, in terms of balancing our play. we c/f whiffs on the flop so rarely that when we all the sudden c/c with our marginal made hands on drawless boards, it sort of turns our hand face up, doesn't it? i mean you're never c/c'ing with a set on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, it's time for a stupid question. Why are c/f wiffs on the flop "so rarely"? Here we would probably semi-bluff with a wiff against one player and one over card, but with multiple players and/or a coordinated flop we don't fit isn't c/f reasonable? We need to sprinkle in some c/r plays to avoid giving free lunchs, but isn't staying out of trouble an important part of cash game strategy?

Charlie
Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM

well sure, against multiple players and on coordinated flops c/f is definitely reasonable. but neither of those are the case here, and i mean in most instances a raised pot (which is the case in pots i enter like 95% of the time) isn't more than 3-ways. and i'll definitely cb a whiff into two players if the texture looks good for a cb.

im not saying i bet the flop everytime. just looked at my PT DB, and my first action on flop after a PFR is either a bet or raise 77% of the time. so if i'm not betting my TPGKs or other marginal made hands, i think i'm making a mistake/playing too predictably.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 PM

Lately it seem that 80 percent of the time i CBet i get reraised, so part of my reasoning for checking here was to combat that. if i lead out flop and get rr am i ready to go 2 felt w what i have or do i take the very weak looking line of calling or even weaker for future references of folding?