Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM

Default College/Life Advice Needed (Semi-Long) - Serious Replies Appreciated

I just turned 23 years old, and am in a little funk.

A little background information:
I took a year off from everything when I graduated high school. Never really paid attention, barely did enough to get by, never really knew how to study or whatever. My parents pay for my college, so I then attend college in the fall of 04'.
I initially intend to get a 4 year general business degree, but both fall and spring semester I pretty much drop 9 of my 12 credits. I do this again last year, and rinse and repeat this fall. So I have about 23 credits completed for a 4 year degree, and I have been going to school for 3 years. I am not a stupid person, just incredibly lazy to actually get to class.

The problem? My parents don't know how terrible I have done. While my GPA for the courses completed is fine, I am getting no where and only have two years left for them to pay for my college. I really don't want to go into debt with loans and everything, so whats my action?

Serious replies are appreciated.

So what should I do?
Should I haul ass and get a two year associates degree or is it worthless? Haul ass and finish a 4 year degree?
Should I just find a job and forget school?

Cliff Notes: Took year off after high school. Have attended college, but only complete 3 out of 12 credits per semester and wasting parents money. Don't know if I should get a smaller degree or just quit school.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: College/Life Advice Needed (Semi-Long) - Serious Replies Appreciat

Ill send you a pm with my advice, i don't want to embarrass myself.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 AM

Ignorant,

I don't know enough about the alternatives, but I can tell you that debt is something you can live with. There are toooooooons of students who are in debt right now (myself included). My advice to you would be to shape up and really REALLY focus. If your parents are paying for your tuition for 2 more years...then take as much as you can take and really dedicate yourself.

Then you won't have much debt because you'll be close to the graduation line anyway.....

This is by no means the only advice (as I said, I can't comment on other routes), but that would be what I recommend.

Either way, it is clear you need to really decide on what you're doing, and DO IT. Don't keep floating through life....It is in your best interest to stop that sooner than later.

Hope it helps.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Default Re: College/Life Advice Needed (Semi-Long) - Serious Replies Appreciated

Do you want to go to school? Because if not you're not gonna be able to shape up. Not having a degree is going to cripple your job prospects, especially since you're already at an age that a lot of people have graduated/will graduate very soon. However, if you're gonna waste a couple more years not getting a degree, you should probably just quit and get the best job you can find now.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:59 AM

Default Re: College/Life Advice Needed (Semi-Long) - Serious Replies Appreciated

Dude, suck it up, go into debt and finish the 4 year degree. You don't want to get into your early thirties and have no options because of mistakes you made earlier in your life. Debts suck, but in the grand scheme school debts are not that much money. Good luck pal.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:21 AM

Get your s--- together and stop pisssing away your parents money. Take an extra class each semester and apply yourself. You have no idea how good you have it. Just what kind of future do you think you will have without an education? Trying working as a garbage man for a week and see if thay doesn't motivate you.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill send you a pm with my advice, i don't want to embarrass myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

too late
Old 12-12-2006, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get your s--- together and stop pisssing away your parents money. Take an extra class each semester and apply yourself. You have no idea how good you have it. Just what kind of future do you think you will have without an education? Trying working as a garbage man for a week and see if thay doesn't motivate you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garbage men make very good money. So do construction workers.

However, they are manual labor intensive and most people get in when they are like 18-19... not 23 and a college dropout. To me (if I were hiring someone), a college dropout is worse than a kid right out of high school not going to college at all.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 AM

Go in to debt now, and save every penny you can. As soon as you can, pay off this debt. For now, work as hard as you can to get a full 4 year degree. If you have to, take 5 classes a semester. Try to work harder and get max credits, but if you can't, just stick with it until you graduate. Your first priority is to graduate with a 4 year degree. Your second is to pay off your debt. Once you do this, however long it takes, you'll have solid ground to stand on in life.

Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 PM

here's an idea, how about you start going to class! get your ass in gear, college is easy once you get the hang of it. hell, i'm supposed to be studying for my next to last final until I graduate.